68 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Conodoguinet creek  (Read 1087 times)  Share 

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
Conodoguinet creek
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
Hit a couple spots on the creek this weekend.  Managed two smaller fish and several hyper aggressive red breast sunfish.  Found two dead bass that were nice size, not sure what happened to them.  I'm noticing the same thing this year as last.  When the water gets clear the fish seem to disappear, an area that was great fishing two weeks ago when you could barely see the bottom, has no fish now.  Maybe the key is early in the morning or later in the evening, I'm not sure where they go. 

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Conodoguinet creek
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Conodoguinet creek
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
...I'm not sure where they go.

I have the same problems......some thoughts....

1. Cold front came in this weekend...the smallmouth are there...they just sit quietly and blend in with the bottom of the creek...they are good at that...if they don't want to move or eat...they won't.

2. They don't eat much when they spawn.

3. Some of the bigger fish may have already spawned and may have moved back to the river.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:05:12 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
Not sure what you are throwing. I also spent some time on the conodoguinet this weekend. Last weekend in the stained water it was brown spinners, this week it was black spinners and black Berkley hellgrammites. Nothing but creek sized smallies for me. But they were in the same spots, and in the deeper channel and under the trees.

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »
Mostly a gold Blue Fox spinner, I did manage two fish so it wasn't a total skunk.   I suspect when the water gets lower and more clear they head to other cover and I'm just not in the correct spots.  Have to keep exploring.  I also want to try and throw more soft plastics to see how I make out.   I was over at Center St and Orrs bridge, guy at orrs bridge caught one on a giant bass jig. 

It could be fishing pressure too, these spots are fished pretty hard, I don't know what the fish turn over is, it's possible most of the fish had just been caught and were leary to bite.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:22:39 AM »
Post spawn funk - absolutely worst time of the year for consistently catching big bass. 90% of the bass that are caught are the smaller males because the larger females moved.

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »
I found getting down stream a bit helped with the bite. When I got down 200-300 yards, there was definitely a more active bite. I have noticed most people do not leave the bank. So the pressure theory is definitely something to consider seriously. A couple of years ago, I was fishing the conodoguinet at the Middlesex park in Carlisle. The fish were laying right under the bridge, I could see them plainly. No matter what I used, they did not even move. That is why I agree with the pressure theory.

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
I think there is a lot of truth to the pressure thing. 

I managed a pretty decent one last night and about 4 that were 3-4", assume they are last years babies.   Creek was high and very dirty.

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »
I have also found that true on the river also. If you can get out in the pockets of rocks, where boats do not get to when the levels are lower. It seems like it can be a little better. Just my opinion though.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »
Anyone going out this evening?  I think we are going to either orrs bridge or the Good hope access. 

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
I should have brought a net today.  We went creek fishing for small mouth bass.  I had on a tiny little crank bait and 4 pound line.  A monster Muskie grabbed it.  I fought it for a long time and finally got to about 4 feet from me and he cut the line.  First one ever, I was so excited.  I'd say it was mid 30's long.

Offline DRY

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
... A monster Muskie grabbed it.  I fought it for a long time and finally got to about 4 feet from me and he cut the line.  First one ever, I was so excited.  ...

I suggest you see a physician first thing Monday morning for the "Musky Vaccine." If you get musky fever it is incurable.  ;)  ;D

Bill

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
I suggest you see a physician first thing Monday morning for the "Musky Vaccine." If you get musky fever it is incurable.  ;)  ;D

Bill

Oh man, it is worse than any buck fever I've ever had.  I happened to be recording when it bit,  I must have said "It's a Muskie" 50 times.  haha.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 08:18:09 AM »
I should have brought a net today...

Forget the net...difficult to carry one big enough...get a pair of fish grippers (metal or plastic) and attach them to your clothing or fishing vest. I think they work better than a net for "toothy critters" when wading.

Every year I accidentally run into one or two muskies while winter wading the Susquehanna. The grippers work well.

Bill

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »

Bill

Couldn't have said it better!! So true!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
just out of curiosity. Was it where we were Saturday evening, or the other hole you eluded to up stream a couple miles we talked about. 4# test, ultralight rod, 30"+ musky, sounds like the only cure is a couple of days off work for you. Congrats!

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com