88 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: Jigs and Snags  (Read 305 times)

Offline zeb

• River Rat
Jigs and Snags
« on: December 17, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »
Jigs are most effective when fished at or near the bottom. Unfortunately that is where snags are, and when the two meet...well, you know what happens. Thoughts on how to reduce or eliminate snagging would be much appreciated. Having to re-tie gets old.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Jigs and Snags
« on: December 17, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Jigs and Snags
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »
Are you fishing from a boat or from the shore?

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
I was reading about ned rigs and snags on another forum and they were suggesting to use the lightest possible weight so it is just touching the bottom.  The more weight the more it will get stuck in the cracks. 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
Terrible problem...especially in the rocky Susquehanna or when fishing flooded shoreline areas with grass and debris.

One solution I have used that does work but is not fool-proof is a jig called the weedless flutterhead jig. (If interested ...you can do a search online for the manufacturer or send me a PM).

It has a brass coil keeper attached to the eye of the hook that you screw the plastic into and then bury the hook in the body of the plastic. The flat lead weight (flutterhead) tends to ride over rocks and debris and if you bury the hook point in the plastic lure it does not pick up as many weeds and debris. Here are a couple pictures of the jig with different plastic lures.

I use these jigs on occasion but generally I use standard tube jigheads and aspirin jigheads and just tie a new one on as often as needed. Just don't use expensive jerkbaits where you might wind up losing them and try casting your own jigs...it's cheaper.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
I donít know, Bill. I can lose flutter heads as easily as round head jigs.  I just use what is cheap so it doesnít hurt as bad.

Offline DRY

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:22:20 PM »
I donít know, Bill. I can lose flutter heads as easily as round head jigs.  I just use what is cheap so it doesnít hurt as bad.

True...they don't always work. With flutterheads it's better if you use the lightest weight possible (1/8 or 1/16 oz.)...they tend not to get stuck as quick but so it is with any lead jig...the lighter ones seem not to get stuck as much.

Always try the "buggy whip" technique at least three times to dislodge your jig...it is surprising how often it works.

Bill

Offline zeb

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
Are you fishing from a boat or from the shore?

I'm fishing from shore exclusively. I know that when I did have a boat, I had the ability to get on top of the snag which sometimes worked, but no more.

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
I'm fishing from shore exclusively. I know that when I did have a boat, I had the ability to get on top of the snag which sometimes worked, but no more.

All my winter fishing is done from shore. If you have never used the buggy whip technique....try it. Here is an instructional link.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »

Offline zeb

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
The video mentioned that you could change your angle  to free a snag when fishing from a boat. You can also change your angle from shore when fishing in current by feeding lots of slack line downstream until it tightens up, then giving it a good yank.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
Unfortunately that doesn't help when you are using a baitcaster.

Online icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »
 Take a look at Charlie Brewer lures ... They have slider rigs similar to those flutter rigs. I use them with one of his 4" slider worms without too many hang-ups

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com