68 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Is anyone fly fishing?  (Read 1919 times)  Share 

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
Is anyone fly fishing?
« on: June 21, 2018, 02:53:11 PM »
Has anyone been out with the fly rod?  We are going out to the river tonight and I might take mine along and try throwing some streamers.  It's my first year with the rod and after seeing how they fought last weekend with a spinning rod, I'm not sure how I'd actually land them.   :o  If they are biting good I will probably give it a shot. 

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Is anyone fly fishing?
« on: June 21, 2018, 02:53:11 PM »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
Re: Is anyone fly fishing?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:10 PM »
Your best bet is to Pm Hebert David,he luvs to fly fish Smallies on the river.Ross is a pro at it.
GOOD LUCK.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:24:59 PM »
Thanks Chez,  I've only been out on the river 2 times this year, and very limited time while out.  I've only used poppers and dry flies so far with limited results.  Streamers and wooly buggers should work well but the water up on the North Branch is still a little cloudy.  I usually drift them, let them swing, then strip back, alternate the retrieve from fast to slow and see which turns them on.

The Sulphurs were out but not in great numbers.  They look like the famous white flies but are smaller, look for them at dusk, so far the smallies up my way seemed uninterested.  I  did take a pic last time

If you see the Sulphurs and fish are rising have at it, any close imitation will do.

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
I've had about the same experience as HD.  Both times I have been out the river was up around 3.5 to 4' at the wilkes barre gauge.  First time out caught six smallies swinging a clouser.  Second time out I had my son with me and neither of us got a fish.  The river seems to be off with the cool weather and rain, or I just have to figure out a new pattern this year on the North Branch

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »
Thanks Chez,  I've only been out on the river 2 times this year, and very limited time while out.  I've only used poppers and dry flies so far with limited results.  Streamers and wooly buggers should work well but the water up on the North Branch is still a little cloudy.  I usually drift them, let them swing, then strip back, alternate the retrieve from fast to slow and see which turns them on.

The Sulphurs were out but not in great numbers.  They look like the famous white flies but are smaller, look for them at dusk, so far the smallies up my way seemed uninterested.  I  did take a pic last time

If you see the Sulphurs and fish are rising have at it, any close imitation will do.

Ross,we are planning a river float in the near future,an over niter,same crew with a new commer to it,Spider.we are going to throw some dates around,would luv to have you...
We will shoot thst beaver this year.lol.

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 08:17:24 AM »
had a little time last night so I took the fly rod to the conodoguinet to see if I could catch any, I've yet to get a smallie with it.  I tied on an olive and white clouser and had a hit.  Unfortunately it broke me off right away.  The fish and my fly went off in different directions.  After that I tied on a blue version with a lot of flash and had no luck.  This is the second fish I've had on that broke off.  I don't know what the leader weight is but I may just take that off and tie on some 6 or 8 pound line in its place.  my setup is a 5wt. 

Its exciting to get a bite but then super disappointing to lose the fish.

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
mr dry do you think that the spawn could have been delayed by a cool may? I been fishing the skuke, but only picking one here or there slow going. jf7

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:25 PM »
had a little time last night so I took the fly rod to the conodoguinet to see if I could catch any, I've yet to get a smallie with it.  I tied on an olive and white clouser and had a hit.  Unfortunately it broke me off right away.  The fish and my fly went off in different directions.  After that I tied on a blue version with a lot of flash and had no luck.  This is the second fish I've had on that broke off.  I don't know what the leader weight is but I may just take that off and tie on some 6 or 8 pound line in its place.  my setup is a 5wt. 

Its exciting to get a bite but then super disappointing to lose the fish.

You'll be fine with just straight 8lb mono.  I have used just straight 8lb or sometimes 10lb mono for years, smallmouth aren't line shy.  Walleye and catfish will also hit a clouser in the river.  I'm trying out making a twisted leader to an 8lb tippet this season and it turns over a heavier clouser pretty nice. 

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:25 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
I go 8-12lb test on my fly line leaders, like Beernut says they are not leader shy.  My friend and fly fishing guru Joe Ackourey told me once "The smallies will hit it on a rope" so use the heaviest tippet line you can get through the eye of the hook.

Beernut, are you talking about furled leaders?  I've tried them with limited success, I would think for a nicely balance wet fly / streamer set up they would be great, too much wind resistance for my dry flies, I may rig it up and try again if I get on the river anytime soon.

I did one evening this week, the "Hex" flies were out but not in big numbers, I did get one on a top water popper, the Sulphurs  were out in good numbers before and after dark but fish just weren't rising for them like they normally do.  I did about 15 smallies total and quite a few decent sized ones, all but one on sub-surface.

Chez, I don't think my schedule will allow me any weekends off til who knows when,  you will have a good time floating again.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »
That stinks Ross.
Maybe we can do an early fall trip.
Even a 1 dayer.

Online afishinado

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 08:15:17 AM »
I go 8-12lb test on my fly line leaders, like Beernut says they are not leader shy.  My friend and fly fishing guru Joe Ackourey told me once "The smallies will hit it on a rope" so use the heaviest tippet line you can get through the eye of the hook.

Beernut, are you talking about furled leaders?  I've tried them with limited success, I would think for a nicely balance wet fly / streamer set up they would be great, too much wind resistance for my dry flies, I may rig it up and try again if I get on the river anytime soon.

I did one evening this week, the "Hex" flies were out but not in big numbers, I did get one on a top water popper, the Sulphurs  were out in good numbers before and after dark but fish just weren't rising for them like they normally do.  I did about 15 smallies total and quite a few decent sized ones, all but one on sub-surface.

Chez, I don't think my schedule will allow me any weekends off til who knows when,  you will have a good time floating again.

^Oh no!....no time to fish....say it aint so!!

LOL...Get out during the week, it's less crowded anyway.

The lightest tippet I use for river smallies is 3X which is close to 12lb test in strength.  No need to go any lighter for fly fishing.

I tie-up and use my own furled leaders, but a store bought tapered leader with a 2' tippet tied on the end works fine.  And no leader at all with sinking lines, just 3-4' of straight mono or fluoro.

Haven't been out on the Susky yet this season, but soon.  The levels should be coming down and the River should be clearing up this week with the lack of rain.

I grew up fishing the north branch and get up there occasionally, but most times the main river below Harrisburg since it's now closer to home.

I hope to get out sometime next week. 

Good luck to all for a great season on the River....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:52:35 AM by afishinado »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »
I went to Colorado to fish their big resivors fly fishin this week did real well biggest rainbow was 24 in. my nephew gave me a Winston 8 and 1/2 foot fly rod to bring home researched it the one I have starts at 950 dollars, musta caught 150 trout between us. jf7

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 05:46:08 AM »
I wanted to thank everyone for the tips, it is working.  My casting is getting better and I've managed to catch some fish.  All on top water, primarily on a green foam bug thing.  I was out last night and on Monday and noticed that about 30 minutes before dark all these flies come out on the water and the fish go nuts.  Last night I had a bigger white foam bug which they didn't like as much as the smaller green one.  I did hook a decent fish but lost it.  Do you guys have any tips for what works best on top water?  Also I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong that I lose the fish.  I think I'm having trouble keeping tension on the line... Well I know my hook sets are not very good, maybe it is that. 

Do you all fish clousers on a 5 weight or is that too light to properly cast?  I ask because I feel pretty good with the light lure but the clouser seems like it over loads the rod.  Maybe this also just needs practice. 

It has been a lot of fun though, top water is just the best. 

I was at willow mill, I have not tried the river yet.

Online afishinado

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 07:31:29 AM »
I wanted to thank everyone for the tips, it is working.  My casting is getting better and I've managed to catch some fish.  All on top water, primarily on a green foam bug thing.  I was out last night and on Monday and noticed that about 30 minutes before dark all these flies come out on the water and the fish go nuts.  Last night I had a bigger white foam bug which they didn't like as much as the smaller green one.  I did hook a decent fish but lost it.  Do you guys have any tips for what works best on top water?  Also I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong that I lose the fish.  I think I'm having trouble keeping tension on the line... Well I know my hook sets are not very good, maybe it is that. 

Do you all fish clousers on a 5 weight or is that too light to properly cast?  I ask because I feel pretty good with the light lure but the clouser seems like it over loads the rod.  Maybe this also just needs practice. 

It has been a lot of fun though, top water is just the best. 

I was at willow mill, I have not tried the river yet.

Most likely the Clouser is a little too big and/or heavy to cast well on a 5wt.  I use a 7wt for smallies on the big rivers.  It can handle just about any SMB fly.  Your 5 wt should work fine if you keep the flies you cast on the smaller / lighter side.

It sounds like you're doing well with your long stick.  It's been a tough year to even get out on the Susky and most of the big rivers in PA with all the rain.

Hopefully the monsoon season ends while the temps are decent.

Good luck.

Online Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »
afishinado…  Thanks.  I managed to catch a bunch of fish in the last 30-45 minutes of light yesterday.  I'm new to fly fishing and I have to say what a blast it is.  Still lots to learn, had my leader break where it meets the fly line, it was probably my poor attempt at a nail knot. 

Also caught a pretty good size smallie and a big fall fish, just so much fun. 

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com