84 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Disappoinment  (Read 822 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Disappoinment
« on: July 09, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »
Had the boat out for the first time this year for about 3 hours this AM. Launched at Shady Nook. Water temp 78F...pretty heavily stained...nice depth for this time of year.

Picked up 2 small bass on a 3" worm. Spent some time throwing SJB and tubes.

Met 2 other boaters who told me they had the same experience.

Maybe they're stunned from the holiday traffic...maybe they just aren't here.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Disappoinment
« on: July 09, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
Re: Disappoinment
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »
Something is off I feel this year. Saturday night I caught 3, and had a absolute hawg miss a bait. The action did not start till almost 9pm. Sunday evening I could not buy a bite, gave up at 730. So I could get ready for work on Monday. I am still seeing a fair amount of floater go by, while fishing meaning dead one. I wonder if the spawn was not later this year than normal.

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:30:11 AM »
I'm new to the river but I was up sunday morning early and not a sign of a fish.  The water was really stained, probably a foot visibility or less.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
 :-\Sure hate to read reports like this from the experts.  I haven't been out since 6/17.  Harry and me are going to give it a try on Thursday. Sure hope we do better.  Either way I'll report.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »
:-\Sure hate to read reports like this from the experts.  ...

My experience is really rather limited to a well defined area of the upper middle Susquehanna...that has not recovered its resident fish from the smallmouth blight that began in 2005.

But I would like to see pictures of some of these huge numbers of smallmouth bass that were shocked on the north branch. Must be somebody targeting them.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
It's been a slow year so far for me also, been fishing a couple days a week in the Bloomsburg, Berwick area and haven't caught a SM over 14". Some days top water works, next day nothing. The only thing that's been consistent for me has been 3" tubes in dark brown or smoke and purple, even then you have to really coax them. Apparently they can't be that hungry cause about 50% throw the hook before getting to the boat. Hope it picks up when the water clears up some!

Offline John Wojo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:51:00 AM »
I've been out fairly regularly fishing from the Hunlock Creek launch.  Small mouth bite has been very,very slow so far this year.  Picking up tons of catfish with the occasional walleye and rock bass mixed in.  I somehow snagged a carp in the gill as well, that was fun!  Think I'm going for a ride to the Bloomsburg launch this weekend for a change of pace.  Never been there before, now that I got a jet it's time to start exploring!

Online shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
Bloomsburg has a nice launch next to the airport, good you have a jet cause the river is getting low. Think I'll be getting my kayak out next week unless they get some rain up river! Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »

Online shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
Still a bummer, tried kayak fishing for three hours this morn and caught one dink. Only excitement was falling in trying to get out of kayak but I got a feeling one of these days they are going to go nuts!

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »
Shiver you should try and hook up with FishYaker on youtube, he is up there around bloomsburg and is always looking for people to go with.  They seem to get on fish all the time.

Online shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
I don't kayak fish that often having boat with a jet motor, but use the kayak to get into some shallow area's. I do run into FishYaker once in awhile and enjoy his web site.

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »
Been off for me too. I think it is about to turn around though. Just a hunch. Caught a few smallies yesterday in the fast oxygenated water right below a series of riffles and drops through boulders. Water has been dirty up this way all season. Cat fishing slowed down at the end of June but as of last night they were back and ready to rumble. Had a big male channel cat that went 31.5 inches last night plus lots of mid 20's lots of males so the spawn must have run its course.
FM

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »

Online chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
Good job Dave.
I haven't been on the water in weeks.
I'm dying to get out.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
I haven't been fishing as much as usual but the river seems totally different this year from the past few.  I've been skunked in the Harding area twice with my fly rod.  It's been years since that has happened in that stretch of river this time of year.  Been doing ok with catfish out of my kayak.

I went out for a few hours after work this week to some new water I have never fished before.  Fished below a riffle that dropped into a nice hole looked like text book smallie water and nothing.  Decided to take a walk above the riffle to a bit slower more even current about 3-4' deep and noticed some swirls in the current figured out they were taking some white flies off the top but just sucking them in not breaking water for them.  I had about 45 minutes of pretty good action on top with a white gurgler.  I caught 8 all around 12" but was grateful for the action anyway.  I wouldn't usually fish that water this time of year, hopefully things get back to normal.

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
I've heard that stone catties are really working up in Tunk and Falls.
FM

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com