79 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Sun protection  (Read 207 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Sun protection
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
Over the last 5 years I have had 2 types of skin cancer (age 73) ...so I have given a little more though to sun exposure.

Thought I might just make other people more aware.

I am regularly using a sunscreen. I don't like the ones with all the chemicals in so I use one that just contains zinc and titanium dioxide...2 very good sunblockers. Combined they do a good job of blocking UVA and UVB radiation. They do not disappear on the skin as well as the other chemical blockers but looking a little "ghost-like" doesn't bother me.

The other item that I have been trying is a face shield. Interestingly there are some neat ones advertised on this website from SA Fishing. I have just ordered a couple but have been wearing an old one I got years ago from Bass Pro. They are made of a light weight polyester (SPF 40-50) and can be worn in such a way to cover the ears, chin, neck and mouth. I thought they would be uncomfortably hot but not so. I also take a bottle of water along (don't use river water) and sometimes make them damp and the evaporation helps cool also.

I also purchased a wide brimmed straw hat from SA Fishing. Don't know if that will work on the boat at high speeds but if I am wearing the face shield my baseball cap may be sufficient.

Anybody using the face shields? Or other means for reducing sun exposure?

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Sun protection
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
Re: Sun protection
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
I also picked up a wide brimmed straw hat, WallyWorld I believe.  It really comes in handy blocking the sun from different angles so you can concentrate on the water. 

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:43:40 AM »
I use the SA face shields on the hot, not a cloud in the sky, days and even have some the fleece ones for winter fishing. Just remember to take it off before stopping at the bank ATM!

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »
Shiver are you speaking from experience? I know the 1 bank I deliver to says no sunglasses or hoods up. Nothing about face shields. Hmm

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:57:05 AM »
So far I've remembered to take my sun shield off before visit to the bank, but I did forget and scare a little kid at the Berwick launch. He ran and told his mom there is a bad man in the boat!

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:57:05 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com