130 Guests, 4 Users

Author Topic: Newbie to Fly Fishing  (Read 2429 times)  Share 

Offline CatfishJones

• Fishing with Grizzly
Newbie to Fly Fishing
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
Just got some fly fishing gear. I've got an Okuma 5wt rod and reel, line, some pre tied flies and some tippet. I've cast my friends fly rod a couple of times and wasn't too shabby. I plan on practicing out in my field behind my house so long the rain holds off.

But do you fly fisherman have any suggestion for me? I figured I'd get into it now and fish some of these catch and release trout streams. My fishing buddy is hooked and thinks I will be too. Any pointers and advice would be great. Thanks!
Keep your lines tight and your drag set!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Newbie to Fly Fishing
« on: June 11, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
Re: Newbie to Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
Okuma is making some fine gear lately.  I have their 7/8 wt reel, top notch.  You have the right idea to practice casting in the yard but get out to a bluegill pond and start tossing some poppers and dry flies.  Nothing better than practicing on the water, that way you can get down the idea of laying the leader out so it's not in a bunch and setting that fly down nicely.

Poppers work well for panfish and bass and they don't get ripped up or soaked as bad as dry flies, the pannies can tear up a fly, bluegills especially.  I like Betts Poppers, they catch fish and the river smallies will take them, so will big largemouths.

Check the USGS guages for trout streams in your area, they list flows AND water temps, fishing for trout in water temps higher than 70-degrees will most likely result in dead fish.  Plus they don't even fight and turn over, not worth the effort in my opinion.  Quite a few rivers and streams still have nice cold water temps, the Lehigh River for instance, plus the flows are down which makes for easier wading.

Trout are a little more particular but if you get a generic dry fly (like an Adams) that imitates several Mayflies you can bag some trout.  Best times are morning and evening right up until and after dark.  Watch for hatches and rising fish.  Streams are a little more tricky than ponds because you have to deal with the drift, but it's excellent practice even if you aren't catching anything.  A drag free drift works best, you will want to practice that and your line management.

River smallies take wooly buggers drifted, swung and stripped.  Streamers work well on river smallies as well as dead drifted poppers and bigger bugs like hoppers.  Toward sunset you can work the poppers and get some wild hits, pop em hard around dark and hold on tight.

Offline Jigginjohnson

• Guy who catches fish
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
Quite a few rivers and streams still have nice cold water temps, the Lehigh River for instance, plus the flows are down which makes for easier wading.

The Lehigh is on FIRE right now. Browns over 20" is typical right now. Get em while it's hot. Won't last much longer. -JJ
CPR unless its a tasty walleye!!!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
Johnson do you know if they are releasing water again this weekend ?   I'm hoping to fish the Lehigh on Sunday or Monday, maybe get down to Rockport, flows are nice right now.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com