82 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Update  (Read 760 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Update
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:54:04 PM »
Started picking up some bass along the shoreline the last 2 days. Water was taking on a nice green color.

THEN....It started raining around midnight. By lunch I had over 1.5 inches

And it was still raining.

Visited the old girl after lunch during a slowing of the rain...this is what Penns Creek looked like...

The Susquehanna had turned a coffee with cream color and was rising......AGAIN

Here's the river forecast...

I'm not complaining mind you...I appreciate not having to deal with Hurricanes Florence and Michael...but I sure would like to fish soon!!

Bill
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:38:42 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Update
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:54:04 PM »

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »
Yeah, same here. All this rain makes me want to puke! It's brutal. I bought a new (used) boat a couple weeks ago and just finished working out a few kinks with it and installing a couple new toys on it. I can't wait to give it a whirl on the river, but this rain is conspiring against me. It's looking like next week the river may settle down, but it looks like levels are going to be receeding slowly. In the meantime, I'll be taking my boat out on a lake to make sure I've got everything squared away before I hit the river. The best fishing of the year is right around the corner.......... hopefully the rain leaves us alone for a little while so we can get some fishing in.

Offline dretallack

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:07:49 PM »
Just took a quick peek at the Harrisburg forecast. Looks like it is not going to be a huge spike this time. Hopefully that means by Saturday or Sunday, it may be ok. I know last Saturday evening, I finally caught some good fish again. Expecting if there is any fall bite this year.  I am going to be spending my times in some not usually fished spots by me, at this time of year. By the way Harrisburg's spike looks like it will be about a foot or just above that.

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »
is anyone fishing at all jf7

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
is anyone fishing at all jf7

I cannot tell a lie  ::)...I only live 5 miles from my fishing spot so I do spend a few hours almost every day (depending on my wife's needs) tramping the shoreline. My fishing car is packed and always ready to go at a moments notice...it knows the way  ;D

The upper main stem crested again today around 13 feet. It wasn't too bad yesterday as far as color although it was running kind of fast. I did find 6 smallmouth crammed in close to shore.

I also foul hooked this quillback. Note the black pigment on the skin of the tail. I have seen the black spots (melanoma/melanosis) on four species of fish (largemouth,smallmouth, sunfish and sea trout)...this is the first time I have seen it on a sucker/carp species.

Bill

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 05:45:03 AM »
Nice trip. 

I got out this weekend to a local spot, not the river.  Started with carp fishing and caught 4 nice Common carp, one was pretty big.  Then started to fish for and catch largemouth.  My friend and I caught about 10 total, it was a great morning.  Then Sunday my family went and caught a few more.  My wife landed a tank of a bass, her biggest by far.  What a great fall weekend.

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »
Picked 5 more small bass up this afternoon...but man were the conditions awful...off and on drizzle with an aggravating upriver wind.

Leaves or dead grass on almost every cast...there's soon gonna be so many leaves on the river that my jet will get clogged...happens every fall (that is if I ever get my boat out again this year).

There are certainly some bass there but weather conditions make it hard to entice them to bite. We need a little stability in the weather to make things right.

Bill

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
Fingers crossed that things will settle down. Headed back next Tuesday-Saturday with my son and a few friends. Staying near Dauphin this time around in a house rental. Still plan to come up Selinsgrove way at least one of those days to fish and get a pie/cookie from Hilshers!
Galatians 2:20

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 08:57:06 PM »
Still plan to come up Selinsgrove way at least one of those days to fish and get a pie/cookie from Hilshers!

If you get into Selinsgrove...stop at Tudor House Pies on South Market Street and pick up a.........

chocolate peanut butter cream pie  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »
"If you get into Selinsgrove...stop at Tudor House Pies on South Market Street and pick up a.........

chocolate peanut butter cream pie"         

I sure will, thanks for the suggestion!!
Galatians 2:20

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com