82 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Cold water baits  (Read 319 times)  Share 

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Cold water baits
« on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
Does anyone have any luck with jerkbaits or spinnerbaits in water that has dropped into the thirties, or is it all about jigs and tubes?  I know there are some who swear by blade baits in cold water.  If they chase those shouldn't they hit other moving baits?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Cold water baits
« on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Cold water baits
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
Does anyone have any luck with jerkbaits or spinnerbaits in water that has dropped into the thirties, or is it all about jigs and tubes?  I know there are some who swear by blade baits in cold water.  If they chase those shouldn't they hit other moving baits?

I believe the secret is to find actively feeding  fish
Have had some success with slow worked SJB in 37 F water if I can find enough active fish
Never used blade baits in the shallow sections of the river that I fish
Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
You can catch bass on jerks and SPBT but you must either use a suspending jerkbait with a lot of hangtime or work a SPBT yoyo style. But like Bill said you must be amongst active fish. Best bet is to use some type of jig. Anything lower than 36 degree water and you might as well go teeth hunting. Not saying you can't cat catch fish lower than 36 degree, its just you must work the jig soooo slow.

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »
 Not sure how well they work in the river but jigging Rapala's can be effective in lakes. There are several makers now so you have more options than just Rapala's for size and colors. Also effective in lakes is the Float-N-Fly system. Basically a light jig dressed with feathers, bucktail, flashaboo or a combination of materials mimicking a minnow suspended under a float. In lakes you use a slip float to suspend at depth the fish are holding at.... probably not needed in the river unless you are down near one of the dams in deeper water.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
Thanks. I am usually bouncing the bottom with tubes, jigs, and other soft plastics but thought I would ask to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com