136 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: My oh my!!  (Read 467 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
My oh my!!
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
I had 2 more inches of rain over the weekend. The old girl is climbing up past 14 feet...again.

Spent several hours at the shooting range this AM then came home and sawed out some target frames and a couple of bluebird boxes.

After making lunch (I do all the cooking since my wife and I retired) I decided to take a look at Susky-Q.

She is high but water color looked decent so I decided to throw a few jigs from the shoreline. Not so much as a tick.

Then I felt a tap...I set the hook and the rock or log didn't move (I already had lost several jigs).

Then the log took off and stripped about 15 yds. of line off my reel. Brought the log to shore and it did it again.

Then the log started tail dancing...not once...not twice...but 3 times. Fortunately, my jig had missed the mouth of this musky and was impaled in the edge of the gill plate.

Another short run and Mr. Musky came to the shore tired out. No way to get down the steep bank and I didn't have boots on anyhow.

Took this picture of what looked like a 40 inch fish then broke the line and pushed Mr. Musky out into the current with the butt of my fishing rod and away he swam.

Shortly afterwards this appeared.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

My oh my!!
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Re: My oh my!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 06:33:16 PM »
Way to go. You should see some rise in the levels tomorrow. It popped up about 8 feet over night here.
FM

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
NOAA River Prediction shows 12-14 feet for the rest of the week.  :o A little high for boating for me. And the water temp continues to drop   :(

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ctp&gage=sbyp1

This morning I glued together 2 bluebird houses and a rifle rest...next job is to clean up the yard for winter.

Bill

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
I may try tomorrow its supposed in the 70's the river has to be normal jf7

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
I may try tomorrow its supposed in the 70's the river has to be normal jf7
Walked the Susky shoreline today...she is high,fast and cold at 14 feet with NOAA prediction for 16-17 feet this weekend. Water color looks good...but there wasn't a single smallmouth to be had were I fish and there have been scant smallmouth for weeks. I hope for better this winter.

Bill

Offline zeb

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 11:36:01 AM »
You are fortunate to have shoreline to fish. Where I live, many former "spots" have been lost to bank erosion caused be flooding and ice jams. Paths have become vertical drop-offs, and fallen trees have blocked other places formerly accessible. Add to that privatization and there isn't much left.

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
Your right about all that. Shore fishing the wild parts of the river was never easy but has gotten much tougher year after year.
FM

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
You are fortunate to have shoreline to fish. Where I live, many former "spots" have been lost to bank erosion caused be flooding and ice jams. Paths have become vertical drop-offs, and fallen trees have blocked other places formerly accessible. Add to that privatization and there isn't much left.

I've fished along this shoreline for over 40 years and erosion is happening but the shoreline along the Que is very long (over a mile) and straight so that seems to have limited erosion. Most residents have no problem with fishermen especially if you ask.

What I have noticed though is an extreme increase in sedimentation. I have also waded this shoreline for the last 40+ years. Over the last 3 years the amount of mud that has accumulated within a few feet of the shoreline is enormous. In some places...ankle to calf deep sediment almost sucks your hip boots right off your feet. This same sediment has covered the rocky bottom for many feet out into the river in many areas and in the Spring there are far fewer smallmouth nests in the area than there were before. 

Erosion and sedimentation are serious problems for sure.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
Right on the money about the sediments. Up this way it has been high and muddy most of the last 9 months. I was out yesterday for a bit and could tell my jig was dragging through mud.rarely ticking some rock.
FM

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:26 AM »
I was at the Timonium show one year and the topic of one of Penrod's seminars was Musky fishing on the Susquehanna.  After sitting through his normal presentation on how to catch smallmouth I was surprised that he opened up for Q&A without mentioning musky once.

I asked him about that and his response was just do the same thing that you do for smallmouth.  ::)

Offline DRY

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
I was at the Timonium show one year and the topic of one of Penrod's seminars was Musky fishing on the Susquehanna.  After sitting through his normal presentation on how to catch smallmouth I was surprised that he opened up for Q&A without mentioning musky once.

I asked him about that and his response was just do the same thing that you do for smallmouth.  ::)

I know quite a few musky addicts and they do not fish for them like I fish for smallmouth. They use very heavy tackle and throw baits that are as big as some of the smallmouth I catch.  ;)

They have told me that every once in a while they will catch a big smallmouth...

And every once in a while...usually in late fall or winter...I will catch a large musky...

You know what Forrest Gump said (one of my favorite expressions)..."POOP HAPPENS"  ;D

Offline old shaky

• Just havin fun!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »
Looks like you had a very good day Dry!!! Nice pictures!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com