139 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Falls Boat Launch  (Read 236 times)  Share 

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
Falls Boat Launch
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
I've had my new to me boat out a few times and I'm really liking it. I've launched twice out of Apple Tree. The last time it was a bit difficult as the water was barely deep enough to float the boat off the trailer, even with the rear tires of the truck almost halfway submerged. Anyways, it's a 14' bass Tracker, semi V with a 40 hp Merc prop on the back and a bow mount trolling motor. So......... I really want to launch out of Falls, if the rain ever chills out, lol.....but I'm looking for some advice. Is it generally deep enough at Falls to make launching a boat like this relatively easy? Is Falls a good launch?  I know falls doesn't have a concrete launch, it's just open cobble shoreline, and that's what's making me hesitate. Any input about how to successfully launch at Falls (without a jet motor) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! - Mike

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Falls Boat Launch
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Re: Falls Boat Launch
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
Falls is the worst. I wouldn't even try it with my POS boat. we need steep slopes to float the boat off the trailer. If the water is coming up the access road you might be able to do it. Kingston, Apple tree, Whites ferry are all this type. Congrats on the boat BTW. so busy I can't breath.

FM

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 10:53:57 PM »
DAVE IS RIGHT,
FALLS IS A TOUGH LAUNCH.
WE DO LAUNCH THERE A LOT.
VERY SHALLOW AND A SLOW GRADUAL DROP OFF.SOMETIMES I'VE BEEN TO THE BOTTOM OF MY TRUCK DOORS AND HAD TO GET OUT AND PUSH THE BOAT OFF THE TRAILER.
ONE TIP IS,BACK THE BOAT TRAILER IN ON A ANGLE,MOTOR FACING DOWN RIVER.THIS WILL HELP.
JUST MAKE SURE SOME ONE IS IN THE BOAT OR ITS TIED ON THE TRAILER WHEN YOU DO.
I'VE HAD SOME GREAT SUCSESS FISHINT THE FALLS AREA.
GOOD LUCK.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »
Well, I appreciate the advice nonetheless. That's kind of a bummer, I was really hoping to do some fishing out of Falls with the boat. Oh well, I did do pretty decent getting some smallies and a walleye when I fished out of AppleTree. I'll post those pics in a related thread.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I was hoping to access the stretch of water along the bedrock, bluff shoreline....... about maybe a 1/4 mile or so upstream from the Falls Bridge. Assuming I can't launch from Falls, does anyone know if that area is accessible by launching out of Whites Ferry (if possible) and motoring downstream, past the islands and around the bend to that area? Or is that island area too shallow for a prop? I'm happy to try it out myself, I'm just trying to avoid damaging a prop if I can beforehand. If anyone knows the stretch between WF and Falls.....is that navigable with a prop? Thanks in advance.

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »
When the Meshoppen gauge is up around 10 feet you should be good to get around those islands. Which, this year is not a problem. imo the river is too high where it is at now (WB gauge 10) for boating. when it gets down the 6 or 7 I feel comfortable hitting eddies but not to anchor in current. You should keep notes at least mental ones of what gauge readings are when you are out. Then you can start to correlate the gauges. As in Meshoppen at 10 WB will be around 3 or 4. When Meshoppen is at 10 I can run up from Tunkhannock all the way up around the Vosburg neck. That's a lotta watta.
FM

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:54:30 AM »
Yes, I've begun keeping mental notes of how launching conditions correlate to specific gauge heights. For example, a couple weeks ago the WB gauge was around 5ft, at that height when I launched at AppleTree, it was a bit difficult getting the boat off the trailer, but I considered the water to be a bit on the high side. I'm trying to keep a mental picture of what the water looks like in certain locations......at certain river gauge heights. FM, thanks for your input, much appreciated. I'm really dying to try out White's Ferry and run downstream, but I just cannot catch a break with this rain. The river is projected to go way up again. Feel like I've been saying that all year, lol. Guess I'll hit up a lake to get a couple final trips in before I happily trade the boat for my ice fishing sled 8)

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:54:30 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com