142 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Hypothermia  (Read 2582 times)  Share 

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Hypothermia
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »
Here is a chart that came with my jacket:

As you can see you have very little time.  To put it in perspective the MS2175 looks like this:

The OC8000 looks like a space suit.  It would appear that the jacket I got will buy me a little time but not much, at least from hypothermia.  I am not unhappy with the purchase as it is going to be less bulky than a traditional jacket with a coat and more reliable than my inflatable.

Here is an update since I posted this almost a year ago.

I did wind up getting the Mustang bibs that go with the jacket.  I figured that I might as well use them instead of the uninsulated  Goretex bibs that I had been using.  I haven't been in the water to get experience and hopefully never will but I have to believe they will offer some help.  This stuff is warm!  I can't wear it if the air temperature is above 50 to 55 degrees or I roast.  In a way that isn't good - if there is a warm day when the water temp is low I have to leave the jacket open if I don't want to cook which defeats the idea of protection if you go in the water.  I have learned to cut down on what I wear under it in that scenario.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 06:20:16 AM »
Here is a chart that came with my jacket:

As you can see you have very little time.  To put it in perspective the MS2175 looks like this:

The OC8000 looks like a space suit.  It would appear that the jacket I got will buy me a little time but not much, at least from hypothermia.  I am not unhappy with the purchase as it is going to be less bulky than a traditional jacket with a coat and more reliable than my inflatable.
Which jacket do you have? I am not a big fan of coveralls (I prefer bibs and jacket) but as a trade off the Mustang Survival's MS2175 Deluxe Anti-Exposure Coverall if comfortable would be a good investment.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 07:55:46 AM »
This is the jacket:

These are the bibs:

I had a hard time deciding between the jacket and the coat.  I decided the jacket would work better for fishing and have no regrets other than how warm it can get, and that hardly seems like something I should complain about.  I also got the hood that attaches to the jacket.  Sometimes I use it and other times I leave it off.

I was lucky enough to get a deal on both of them as they are phasing those models out.  The newer Catalyst line claims to be more comfortable but I never tried one of those on due to the price difference.

I am sure the MS2175 is going to be warm.  Depending on how you are going to use it maybe too warm.  I would also advise you to pay close attention to the sizing chart.  The bibs I got run very long.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:57:21 AM by zelmo »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
Thanks!!

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
No problem.  Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com