96 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: Do carp feed smallmouth?  (Read 235 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Do carp feed smallmouth?
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »
During the last several weeks of high, cold water I have been having trouble finding fish in the usual shoreline eddies.

I haven't even been feeling or snagging carp. I can usually feel my jig riding over their backs or I inadvertently snag one. But they have not been around...neither have the smallmouth.

It has just been since earlier this week that I have begun feeling and snagging the carp...and along with them also some smallmouth.

An older fishermen in this stretch of river told me years ago to watch for carp. It was his belief that the bottom feeding carp dislodge crayfish and other insect larva from the bottom of the river as they feed...even and especially in winter. He said you will almost always find smallmouth downstream when you find carp gathered in a section of river.

That observation became apparent again this week. I don't know if it is really food...or water temperature...or current...or whatever...but when I'm snagging carp I'm usually catching some smallmouth.

Anyone else made that observation?

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Do carp feed smallmouth?
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »

Offline icemole

• River Rat
Re: Do carp feed smallmouth?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:14:24 PM »
 I haven't been bumping carp much either this fall. I wouldn't think anything gets by that vacuum mouth that carp have ... LOL.  At my local lake before the sunnies got overharvested I would often have them feeding in my mud trail as I waded along. A few times even had a largemouth crash the party for a sunny snack.

It may also be that the bass are using the "mud line" for cover. Seen that a few times in both rivers and lakes.

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »
An older fishermen in this stretch of river told me years ago to watch for carp. It was his belief that the bottom feeding carp dislodge crayfish and other insect larva from the bottom of the river as they feed...even and especially in winter. He said you will almost always find smallmouth downstream when you find carp gathered in a section of river.

No personal experience but it makes sense.

I can't say that I've ever been dragging a bait on the river bottom and thought, "I think is just pulled that bait over the back of a carp". Rocks, wood, stumps, ledges, sandy vs rocky bottom, mush bite on a cold water smallie; yes. You sir are light yrs ahead of me. Is there anyway to explain what that feels like?
Galatians 2:20

Offline DRY

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
...I can't say that I've ever been dragging a bait on the river bottom and thought, "I think is just pulled that bait over the back of a carp". Rocks, wood, stumps, ledges, sandy vs rocky bottom, mush bite on a cold water smallie; yes. You sir are light yrs ahead of me. Is there anyway to explain what that feels like?

It is a regular occurrence during winter (cold water) wading along the shoreline. The carp gather in the same eddies and current breaks where the smallmouth hang out.

As you well know, generally when a smallmouth picks up the jig there is tap that can be felt (sometimes ever so light but a noticeable "take") or there will be a slight twitch or momentary hesitation in the line when the smallmouth gently sucks in the jig.

But when the line becomes draped over the body of the carp as you are slowly bringing it in (and I mean slowly)...the carp begins to move very slowly and the line just begins to move away...no tap, no take, no hesitation...and you know that the line is draped over the back or tail of the carp and the fish is swimming away.

Eventually the line just quits moving when it falls off the back of the carp but sometimes the jig hook is in just the right position to impale itself in a fin or a tail...that's when the freight train takes off.

In my fishing experience it is a real common occurrence.

Bill

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:30:49 PM »
sounds reasableto me bill but I have not seen a carp sinse aug.

Offline zeb

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
Never heard of that carp/smallmouth relationship but it does sound plausible. Sort of sounds like chumming. Maybe give chumming a shot.

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 06:52:14 PM »
It is a regular occurrence during winter (cold water) wading along the shoreline. The carp gather in the same eddies and current breaks where the smallmouth hang out.

As you well know, generally when a smallmouth picks up the jig there is tap that can be felt (sometimes ever so light but a noticeable "take") or there will be a slight twitch or momentary hesitation in the line when the smallmouth gently sucks in the jig.

But when the line becomes draped over the body of the carp as you are slowly bringing it in (and I mean slowly)...the carp begins to move very slowly and the line just begins to move away...no tap, no take, no hesitation...and you know that the line is draped over the back or tail of the carp and the fish is swimming away.

Eventually the line just quits moving when it falls off the back of the carp but sometimes the jig hook is in just the right position to impale itself in a fin or a tail...that's when the freight train takes off.

In my fishing experience it is a real common occurrence.

Bill

Thanks, great explanation! I don't do much cold water fishing so my experience is very limited.

I laughed out loud when I read, "when the freight train takes off"! I bet that is a wake up call!!!  ;D
Galatians 2:20

Online stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
 Its not uncommon on the WB ,late summer, when waters low and clear to see a lone big carp with a big bass right on its shoulder.As that carp roots around anything that bolts the bass grabs. Never seen this with smaller fish or schooled fish and I cant speak for cold water. I did find this online:

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 11:26:35 PM »
sounds like it could be possible bill jf7

Offline DRY

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »
I did find this online:

Joe Raymond is young and very aggressive
I don’t have the “testicles” (or the right equipment) to back my boat down
Snowy ramp and be out in a boat in that weather
You can have a similar experience fishing winter smallmouth from shore
You just have to do a little scouting and research

Bill

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
Joe Raymond is young and very aggressive
I don’t have the “testicles” (or the right equipment) to back my boat down
Snowy ramp and be out in a boat in that weather

I thought the same thing when I watched that.  I would be very nervous backing down a snow covered ramp even in 4WD Lo.

On the other hand that action has me itching to get out before the ramps get that way.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com