119 Guests, 5 Users

Author Topic: Musky live baits  (Read 5894 times)  Share 

Offline RAU

• River Rat
Musky live baits
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »
Anyone have any methods for getting truly big musky sized baits quickly and efficiently? Truly big baits like big 10 to 12" suckers, chubs, etc? I thought about building a truly massive minnow trap out of chicken wire but I think the design i have in my head is ilegal.  Maybe I could find a hole in creek and seine it.  Ive picked up some sucker rigs and musky floats and want to toss a rigged sucker out for muskies on second rod while i cast lures  around it. Not asking for specific locations just a way to get a few suckers without having to spend my precious fishing time fishing for suckers with rod and reel. Tho that could be fun in its own Id rather spend the time fishing for muskies, or channel cats, or smallmouths, or walleyes, you get the idea hahahah!! Thanks fellas!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Musky live baits
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »

Offline Kingfisher

Re: Musky live baits
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Hook n line for the big ones.
"Ya can't get em wishin, ya gotta go fishin!"

Offline fishey56

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »
i have heard of big musky being caught on legally caught trout

Online FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
Chubs probably don't reach the size you are looking for. Pond shiners and suckers certainly do. The PA law regarding minnow traps sets the entry point hole at 1 inch so you won't be legally catching any bait of that size with a trap. Hook and line is the way to go. Have you thought about how you are going to keep the baits alive and transport them. Down at the jersey shore guys would drive over to Trenton and hook and line herrings then put them into giant aerated tanks in the back of pickup trucks. These tanks held several hundred gallons of h20. They would drive their catches back to the shore and liveline the baits for cow stripers. I have a bait alternative, you will have to find your own source for them but they can be found in catchable numbers in the river and would make super musky baits. Fallfish. You can't move a seine through the water fast enough to catch big suckers and will break your back trying. Big muskies will attach any kind of fish if they are eating. why not use perch or gills. I was walking the river once and heard an big commotion in a pool I had just passed by. I walked back to see what was up  and found an 8 inch bullhead on the shore still alive with a severe gash in its back. It was either thrown out of the water by the violent attack or beached its self to escape. Or maybe the musky/pike expelled it once it started choking on the spines. I love the river every trip is like reading a chapter in a book!
FM

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »

Offline BIGCREW

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »
I think a musky will take a trout over anything,I think they prefer them because they have the least amount of pointed fins and are easy to swallow,just my opinion,and heck at least theres a use for all those stockies the state stocks

Offline KCARP819

• FISH FEAR ME
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
BIG GOLDEN SHINERS! BUT HARD TO FIND. I GET THEM IN A LOCAL POND ABOUT 10" I BELIEVE SLOCUM HAS A GOOD POPULATION OF THEM. BUT TROUT IS PROLLY THE EASIEST AND BEST BAIT.  GOOD POINT ABOUT THE BAIT TANKS FM. I USED TO CARRY AN O2 BOTTLE AROUND AND A COOLER. HAHA. THE STANDARD AIR BUBBLER WONT WORK FOR MORE THAN 1 OR 2 IF YOU HAVE TO DRIVE FAR. THEY NEED LOTS OF O2.

Offline Jigginjohnson

• Guy who catches fish
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »
When using live bait, it's always good to use a quick strike rig. This allows the fish to be hooked properly rather than gut-hooking. Nothings worse than gut hooking a big musky. -JJ
CPR unless its a tasty walleye!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com