88 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: Crankbaits for Smallmouth  (Read 154 times)  Share 

icemole and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Crankbaits for Smallmouth
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
I hardly ever throw crankbaits and want to change that this year.  What have you found that works on the Susquehanna?  Size, color, type?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Crankbaits for Smallmouth
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
Re: Crankbaits for Smallmouth
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »
I hardly ever throw crankbaits and want to change that this year.  What have you found that works on the Susquehanna?  Size, color, type?

First I'll start by telling you that you should have had that idea last year.  I started fishing cranks again after not using them for at least five years and it paid off big-time. As everyone knows the river ran high and colored almost all year and fishing conditions were tough until I started dragging Bandit 200 Series Crankbaits in various crayfish colors slowly along bottom through eddy's and along current edges along side the eddy's.  I averaged 15 to 20 smallmouth each time I went fishing. Some of my most productive areas were the eddy's below island points. My numbers were down this year compared to last year because I stayed home too many times thinking the bass wouldn't bite because the water was high and muddy.  Thank god for crank baits! Don't go fishing without them as they could just save the day.

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:15:02 PM »
I fished with a guy 2 years ago he was throwing a square bill crankbait and he just killed the smallies I believe in them it was about 3 ins. long and fat big wobble lots of vibration. jf7

Online icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »
 The Cordell Cotton - Big "O"(mid sized) used to be a Susky standard. I always preferred the "smokey joe" color or the pearl "G" finish. Don't get out there much anymore so I'm not sure what is the new "flavor" but back in the 80-90's every tackle shop out there(main stem)had Big "O's" in stock.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »

Offline Mute_cook

• Camo Cook
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »
Strike King 5 or 5XD in orange belly craw are my favorite. Burn it as soon as it hits the water, then slow roll when you feel bottom. High gear ratio baitcast reels help also. Works even better in lakes during the fall.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:23:07 PM »
The Cordell Cotton - Big "O"(mid sized) used to be a Susky standard. I always preferred the "smokey joe" color or the pearl "G" finish. Don't get out there much anymore so I'm not sure what is the new "flavor" but back in the 80-90's every tackle shop out there(main stem)had Big "O's" in stock.

I still have some of those. Iíll have to start using them again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:23:07 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com