Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Susky PFBC video
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Susky PFBC video
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 10:50:47 AM »
I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LONG POST!!
Interesting. I do wonder what involvement the PFBC has in working with the governments to work on the various problems. Additionally it starts with the individual. I had been recycling paper since the 90s as I worked for a contractor that had a dumpster for paper recycle. When I left there I continued to package my paper and set out with garbage/recycle, and figured it is no longer in my hands. Then to my surprise Penn Waste started taking paper. Now due to some China recycle issue, they have stopped taking paper. The US creates more garbage and recycle and yet we have no intact recycle system!! I promised myself at retirement I would get more involved communicating to our representatives environment issues etc. This video is a good instigator.
I do intend to contact my representative regarding recycling - what a pathetic situation. I do recycle CFLs - the government pushed this to save energy but gave no consideration to the polution from these devices. Ask most people - it goes in the garbage - I have asked.
E-cycle should be easy and curbside. Otherwise guess what: in the garbage. What family does not have an E-device (I do know a few - very few). Yeah NiCads too. I recycle all CFLs, E devices and NiCads. I have paid to recycle Nicads. FYI Paz Metals, 4315 Run Way, York PA. take Nicads/E-cycle and will pay you.
There should be some Law prohibiting stored materials within some distance of any waterway. High water and downstream it goes. I have seen TVs floating down the river. Refridgerators disposed of along side the river. Once again it needs to be easier to recycle.
I recently dismantled a boiler and had two mercury switches. You may not believe how long and how much effort it took to find someone who would take them. I am sure backyard diposal is illegal (technically) - it would have been easier. In the 60s the Susquehanna river at some places was flat out disgusting. That has been cleaned up. But since then imagine how many new houses, parking lots, roads, and driveways. It all runs downstream. So how many boroughs and townships does the Susquehanna river have? It is real simple, we have to reduce this runoff.
Copy this and pass it on to your governments. Please!!

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 01:49:12 PM »
Phil Sweeney -

I spent 2 years working with a local environmental group trying to convince college environmental educators, politicians, physicians and the PFBC that there is an egregious violation of the Clean Water Act going on at the old Northumberland Dump at the junction of the major branches of the Susquehanna River in Northumberland. No one would listen. Citizens don't care. Fishermen don't care. Declaring the violation exists (and PFBC has the legal authority to do it but has declined) and declaring the site falls under the Superfund Program would be an economical and political football that no one wants to play with. So the violation and the environmental pollution of the Susquehanna continues.

My advice to you is to always do what you personally know is the best thing for the environment (sounds like you try to do that). Avoid contaminated food and water in your diet. Teach those who will listen. Fish and enjoy the short life that we all have been given. Trying to change the system is stressful and provoking and I, for one, don't need that kind of stress.

Bill

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:51:59 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »
Yep. Just wonder about the river and its future.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 09:14:11 AM »
Yep. Just wonder about the river and its future.

Phil

If you are interested in an environmental history of all the insults the Susquehanna River has weathered and you enjoy reading...pick up a copy of "Susquehanna, River of Dreams" by Susan Q. Stranahan

And if you really want an eye opener about pollution and toxins in our environment..."Silent Spring" by Rachael Carson is an exceptional book.

Bill

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »
I will - thanks.

Phil

Online icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
 I know Arway was trying to get the river declared "at risk" for several years and was fought all the way by the DNRC.  Since Arway's replacement comes from the DNRC what are the chances he goes head to head with his former department ?

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:25:30 PM »
I know Arway was trying to get the river declared "at risk" for several years and was fought all the way by the DNRC.  Since Arway's replacement comes from the DNRC what are the chances he goes head to head with his former department ?
Mr. Arway was at the helm of PFBC when we presented the data on the
Northumberland dump pollution...he refused to address the sutuation
and use the legal power of the agency to do anything about the diversion of
pollutants into the West Branchof the Susquehanna.

I wouldn’t count on anyone at PFBC to really address or investigate serious issues
It’s just another political agency.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
If you are interested in an environmental history of all the insults the Susquehanna River has weathered and you enjoy reading...pick up a copy of "Susquehanna, River of Dreams" by Susan Q. Stranahan

And if you really want an eye opener about pollution and toxins in our environment..."Silent Spring" by Rachael Carson is an exceptional book.

Bill
Bill,
I just saw another mention of "The Silent Spring" in Sept/Oct Bassmaster article on the carp crisis at Kentucky Lake.
Phil

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
FYI: The U.S. Department of Agriculture, the federal agency with responsibility for regulating pesticides before the formation of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1970, began regulatory actions in the late 1950s and 1960s to prohibit many of DDT's uses because of mounting evidence of the pesticide's declining benefits and environmental and toxicological effects. The publication in 1962 of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring stimulated widespread public concern over the dangers of improper pesticide use and the need for better pesticide controls.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com