97 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Juniata river float trip, where to go?  (Read 686 times)  Share 

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
Juniata river float trip, where to go?
« on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »
Guys, I was thinking it would be fun to do a float trip on the juniata this summer.  The problem is I've never been up there and have no idea where we could launch and get out.  Does anyone have ideas what would work? 

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Juniata river float trip, where to go?
« on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
Re: Juniata river float trip, where to go?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
What kinda rig? Kayaks or boat - if boat - how big - is it a jet?

Southern end - more big fish because of catch and release

Middle has been beat by tournaments and guys keeping them to eat. The guys keeping them don't want to drive any further than they have to.

Western end - smaller water with lots of smalls and a few big uns.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »
Guys, I was thinking it would be fun to do a float trip on the juniata this summer.  The problem is I've never been up there and have no idea where we could launch and get out.  Does anyone have ideas what would work?

My wife grew up along the Juniata. I fished it a lot during the middle 70's and early 80's mostly in the Mifflintown to Millerstown area. Fished that area by canoe several times.
One summer in the early 80's I floated from Mexico to Newport in a 14 foot john-boat. When the Juniata is low you better be prepared to get out a lot. Some places there was grass from shoreline to shoreline and I could see no water.
Never fished the upper Juniata (Raystown Branch) nor the section around Lewistown but I have heard good things about those sections.
I should think a float on the lower section from Newport to Amity Hall (Duncannon) would be most productive in summer.

If you enjoy reading, fishing and Indian lore then pick up the book "Juniata - River of Sorrows" . The author is a fisherman and an historian. He takes a float trip on the middle/lower Juniata. He discusses fishing the area and the Indian history of the area.

http://sevenoakspress.com/index.htm

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »
Kayak and a canoe.   Guess I should have said that.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:11:31 PM »
I do not know if he is still doing guiding...or if you have considered hiring a guide...but this gentlemen is an excellent resource for smallmouth fishing from a kayak and has spent many hours on the Juniata.

http://kayakfishpa.com/guiding/guided-kayak-fishing/

Bill

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »
My wife grew up along the Juniata. I fished it a lot during the middle 70's and early 80's mostly in the Mifflintown to Millerstown area. Fished that area by canoe several times.
One summer in the early 80's I floated from Mexico to Newport in a 14 foot john-boat. When the Juniata is low you better be prepared to get out a lot. Some places there was grass from shoreline to shoreline and I could see no water.
Never fished the upper Juniata (Raystown Branch) nor the section around Lewistown but I have heard good things about those sections.
I should think a float on the lower section from Newport to Amity Hall (Duncannon) would be most productive in summer.

If you enjoy reading, fishing and Indian lore then pick up the book "Juniata - River of Sorrows" . The author is a fisherman and an historian. He takes a float trip on the middle/lower Juniata. He discusses fishing the area and the Indian history of the area.

http://sevenoakspress.com/index.htm

Bill

I grew up in the Mexico and Mifflintown area so the Juni is my bread and butter so to speak. It's a great little river!

Bill that sounds very interesting about the book. I hate reading books but I am going to look for that one. I would love to know more historic info about the Juni. Thanks!

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »
I do not know if he is still doing guiding...or if you have considered hiring a guide...but this gentlemen is an excellent resource for smallmouth fishing from a kayak and has spent many hours on the Juniata.

http://kayakfishpa.com/guiding/guided-kayak-fishing/

Bill

Don't pay this guy - you won't need to. In the summer the fish will be everywhere. It's a small river so some stretches will be better than others. If you must have a guide at least get one that was raised on the Juni - Shallow Water Guide Service out of Lewistown. I have fished many tournaments against Jason Halfpenny (Shallow Water Guide Service) and he knows his fish and water. If you would like you can email me and I will go over any questions you have about the sections and access. trljones@hotmail.com

Sorry Bill but us locals just love that guy you recommended....NOT! ;D

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:38:16 AM by jonsie »

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:33:17 AM »
Sorry Bill but us locals just love that guy you recommended....NOT! ;D

Never heard anything negative (all positives) regarding Juan Vuerte of KayakFishPA; never heard anything negative about the locals...so I will not judge either.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:33:17 AM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:20:19 PM »
I guess that came across harsh...I should not have used "us locals".

I do not want to take away from the original question so I will not go on. It was wrong and I should not have even put the comment in. Sorry to the original poster.

Offline Brewguy

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »
I appreciate the tips guys.   As much as a guide would be nice, it is well out of my price range. 

As the summer progresses we will see what can be done.  We are still new to the boats, so hopefully some local trips will go well. 

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »
As a fisherman who loves indian lore and early American History I went right off and found, Juniata - River of Sorrows on Ebay for $9 and free shipping. My brother and I were out a few weeks ago looking for some rock shelters we had learned of. Found two of them before our legs folded up.
FM

Offline zeb

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 11:56:29 AM »
Here is a link to the Water Trails page on the PFBC website.       https://www.fishandboat.com/Boat/WaterTrails/Pages/default.aspx
On it there are a link to an interactive map where you can zoom in for more info at that spot, and stuff you can order. DIY exploration is more fun than a guide.

I don't know why the link didn't look right, but you can find it yourself at PFBC website.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:01:56 PM by zeb »

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 11:56:29 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com