148 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: What was it?  (Read 518 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
What was it?
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »
I was fishing the main stem below Harrisburg for smallmouth the other day.  I had found some in a rock pile next to deep water in current and was working it with a small worm.

On one cast I was out of the zone so I started a fast retrieve.  Near the boat I got a glimpse of something chasing.  That is not unusual.  What was different is that I saw a big flash of red.

I am not aware of any river denizens with a lot of red coloration.  Any guesses as to what it was?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

What was it?
« on: August 08, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »

Offline JShoe

• River Rat
Re: What was it?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
Only thing I can think of is a musky. I have seen quite a few photos of them where their fins
Appear reddish orange. As well as the behavior. Following to the boat then turning away.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
You are probably right. While I have caught musky in that general vicinity I wasnít thinking about the reddish/orange tinge on the fins.  It was also smaller than what I expect a musky to be. If it was a juvenile that would fit the profile.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
... Any guesses as to what it was?

1. the flash of the red gill as the fish pulled away from the bait...perhaps a musky
or
2. a koi ....sometimes people put their goldfish in the river...this one hit a jig last winter

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
 How "red" ... 2 other possible culprits besides koi/goldfish... #1 a "golden" trout that washed down from a creek. #2 an "albino" channel cat many people stock them in their ponds so one or two could end up in the river

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com