150 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Case Plastic Hellgramites  (Read 368 times)  Share 

Offline bjones

• River Rat
Case Plastic Hellgramites
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:05:59 AM »
i bought couple packs of Case Plastic hellgramite lures. They are very realistic. But I find them so light weight and thin through the body, that I couldn't really cast them nor could I run a jig hook through them without tearing up the lure. How do you fish them? Appreciate any recommendations you have (as always) thanks.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Case Plastic Hellgramites
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:05:59 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Case Plastic Hellgramites
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
I have tried them a number of ways and thought a slider head worked best.

Having said that I don't think I have caught anything with them.  I keep trying as I probably bought 10 bags.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 03:03:54 PM »
I've never used Case helgramites but I've used a lot of small, soft finesse baits from Winco's Lures...some of which were designed to look like helgramites or leeches.

I've found that the 1/8 oz. stand-up football jig head with a small Mustad hook (size 1) works best.

Fish it slow and on the bottom.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline bjones

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:28:49 AM »
Zelma and Dry,

Thanks much for the feedback/ideas. I too bought several bags. I will try both of your suggestions.
PS I think Winco lures is now Fitt lures or something like that. I too really like their products and am glad that someone else kept their original business/product line going! I really appreciate your suggestions!

brad

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:28:49 AM »

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 08:34:04 AM »
 I've used a few different hellgramite lures... the old standard for the river was one that had a weedless hook molded into the body. The ones without hooks I either Texas rig with a split shot, use some type of slider jig or hook them in the back like a real one.... I have never done real well with them either I don't think there is enough "movement" on the ones that are lifelike. Throw it above a rock so it washes down in the fast water - you might get bit... drift it down a calm deeper hole not so much in my experience.

Offline bjones

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »
thanks, icemole. I'm starting to think they are not lifelike enough either.

Offline Squid Flathead

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
I am not familiar with Case brand soft hellgrammites.  If they are soft and thin, maybe try Nikko brand hellgrammites.  Dallas Sporting Goods (Dallas, PA) and Five Mountain Outfitters (Shickshinny, PA) have them in stock.  They are made out of a new compound that will not rip... so if you don't break off on a rock you can catch a lot of fish with each lure... they're about $7 for 4 lures but the durability factor makes them a good deal.

You're not going to get good action texas rigging them... the hook will keep them from wiggling.  And hellgrammites are light and float around... avoid heavy jigheads that pin them to the bottom.  I put them on a split shot or a light Carolina rig and I nose hook them with a small octopus circle hook.  Split shot or Carolina rig will let them float/drift naturally, just off the bottom.

One last piece of advice... hellgrammites are seasonal.  You'll do much better on them in June/July/August than you will this time of year.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com