123 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: drop shot  (Read 432 times)  Share 

Offline bjones

• River Rat
drop shot
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:58:17 AM »
does anybody here fish a drop shot on the river? I'm not talking about casting into rapids, but rather into very slow moving pockets or holes.
bad idea? i ask because some of the baits for smallmouths are so small and thin, that drop shotting seems like the only feasible way to fish them. What do you folks think?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

drop shot
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:58:17 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: drop shot
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »
I've never tried it but I would save the dropshot technique for the deeper water of lakes.

4-6 lb. test mono and a 7-8 foot fast/extra fast action rod has served me well for decades with 2 and 1/2 to 3 and 1/2 inch finesse baits mounted on 1/16 - 3/16 oz. jigs

Or nose hook the bait on a 1-1/0 bare hook with one or two split shot about 6-8 inches above the hook...fished live minnows this way when I was a kid.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline bjones

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 06:25:49 AM »
thanks, bill. good stuff!

Offline Squid Flathead

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »
I like the drop shot in slight current.  If you are fishing a small minnow imitator, the nose hook drop shot will keep the minnow's nose facing the current, just like a minnow would be behaving... treading water.  And you can keep it up off the bottom obviously.  I think it works well in the right river situation but like Dry said, it's drop shot is probably best in deeper water when you're fishing more vertical.  Casting and retrieving the drop shot in current will get you stuck in really rocky spots.  Try and match your weight to the situation the best you can.  I like the little Gulp minnows on drop shot in the Susky.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com