118 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: A taste of fall  (Read 804 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
A taste of fall
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
Those cool days we had got me excited.
I checked my boat batteries and topped them off and made sure they were in good shape. They've been on Battery Minders since March.
Checked out the river and local flows. Pretty low...lots of grass choking the shoreline and small tribs.
Been watching the access areas on the middle mainstem and don't see as many boats as usual. Guys I talked with don't seem too excited about the fishery here.
Target shooting is fun but I must admit that I have a hankering to feel a smallmouth at the end of my line.
It won't be long... :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

A taste of fall
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: A taste of fall
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »
Yep weather is changing. Seems like every other time out I get into them and then lucky to get 2 or 3. Plus wind is picking up on occasion. Might have to start taking out the bassboat. The wind is brutal with my jon/jet.

Some areas get chocked up with growth flowing down the river. Water about 77 degrees down here.

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 05:08:47 PM »
I went to Colorado for 3 weeks the second day there a bear ran under the boat trailer and bent the axle the resovoir fishing was over

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:48:49 AM »
A number of years ago I was out in October.  I had picked up some smallies throughout the morning but nothing to brag about.  I then went to a spot and got a 19" SM on the first cast.  Over the next 45 minutes I pulled 27 fish out of an area that wasn't more than 30' x 50'.  Smallest was 18" and four were pushing 21".

Over the years I have gone back to that spot often.  Occasionally I catch a few during the winter, spring, and summer but fall is when it is best.  Funny thing is that is isn't hot every year.  I suspect it has something to do with how much grass there was over the summer. 

This year there wasn't as much grass so I shall see how well it produces.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:48:49 AM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:04:17 AM »
I have been off all summer for a pinched nerve in my neck AND Lyme disease (very bad combination), but I have never seen the Juniata so off. It's like the fish have already started into their fall transition period. I hate this transition - it is so hard to find reliable fish. Here today and gone tomorrow. We fished last Saturday and covered 12 miles on the Juni with nothing to show for looking for big fish. On top of that the river is so low it will make your azz pucker running the jet boat in some areas. ::)

Of course the flatheads are biting great. Three guys one night fishing in the middle Juni caught over 25 flatheads. Makes you go hmmmm - wonder were all the bass have gone? sushi???

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:13:54 AM by jonsie »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 07:47:37 AM »
I was out at Howe TWP June 24 and water level at Newport USGS was 4.5. I guess at 3.56 its tricky. I was thinking below 4' would be crazy. Sorry to hear about your Lyme disease. FYI we hunt my property. About 5 years ago I started putting out tick tubes (cotton balls with permethrin). At one sitting a buddy of mine had 7 deer ticks on him. Since I started putting out the tubes - none. Hard to believe but after 5 years or so its obvious.

It is on and off at Muddy Creek also, ony had 3 fish last night:

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »
I was out at Howe TWP June 24 and water level at Newport USGS was 4.5. I guess at 3.56 its tricky. I was thinking below 4' would be crazy. Sorry to hear about your Lyme disease. FYI we hunt my property. About 5 years ago I started putting out tick tubes (cotton balls with permethrin). At one sitting a buddy of mine had 7 deer ticks on him. Since I started putting out the tubes - none. Hard to believe but after 5 years or so its obvious.

It is on and off at Muddy Creek also, ony had 3 fish last night:

Thanks!

Yea when it's low like that - you close your eyes and hope for the best. :o :o  Plus it's good to know aluminum welders! When in doubt HIT the throttle harder and bounce off the rocks. Haha

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »
I went to the schukill today and fished for4 hrs I caught nothing zero for me zilth

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
I went to the schukill today and fished for4 hrs I caught nothing zero for me zilth

Its been a tough summer for me. I had 3 last night. FYI after 40 days here are my totals for the last 3 years:
2017: 407
2018: 497
2019: 318
I am looking for that fall feeding action. I saw 0 surface action last night.
Last year was pretty good until the rain  >:(

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »

I am looking for that fall feeding action.

Anybody track what water temp triggers the fall bite for your waters?

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com