123 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: Is anyone else having a down year?  (Read 921 times)  Share 

Offline 717wildcat

• River Rat
Is anyone else having a down year?
« on: October 14, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »
I fish almost exclusively out of the Montgomery ferry launch. I also sometimes go up to the Liverpool launch. This year I have had terrible luck fishing. I have been lucky to get one each outing. For me, an outing is around 3 hours.

It very well could be me. I am 30 yo and spent my teenage years slamming the bass, but then the fish kill happened. About 2 years ago I had an awesome fall on the river and was slamming them. I decided then the river must be back and I bought a ccj boat. Now I am wondering  if I was wrong. But like I said,  could just be me.

Looking for some input.

Thanks to all

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Is anyone else having a down year?
« on: October 14, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
Re: Is anyone else having a down year?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
For me 2017 was awesome.  2018 was ok until the monsoon came in August.  Ever since smallmouth fishing sucks.  It's like they got washed out into the ocean?
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
"Friend...you just don't know where to find the fish."...That is what you will hear from some people. But not from me.

There are less smallmouth in our fishery (not to mention walleyes, sunfish and rock bass). There are also way fewer people fishing. Not many people with whom I have spoken are happy with their success and I spoke with one man this year who had a Harrisburg guide cancel his smallmouth trip because of it.

I am 74 years old. About 6 years ago I was thinking about a new G3 from Lakeside Marine. I will admit that my age plays some part in my decision not to make the investment but I know what kind of disease is plaguing the Susquehanna River, I could see the writing on the wall 9-10 years ago. The problem with the fishery and the issues driving down the smallmouth population are not going away anytime soon. If I had thought the fishery would rebound and be anything like it was in the past I would have made the investment in a new boat and motor.

Enjoy what you have for now. Drive a little farther. Search new waters. Maybe I am wrong and things will get better. But I don't think so.

Bill

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »
Hi Bill,

Not sure what is happening. This is the first time my best single day (numbers) at Raystown beats the Susquehanna. Numbers are down. But I was having a good year last year before the rains. I really think the rain was a big impact. I have had a few good days though inconsistent. My daily average is 7+ usually 10+ or more.
I was out the other day and had 6 fish in 20 minutes at the same spot and same lure. Then nothing and no fish at any other spots.

I saw the same thing at Peach Bottom years ago. I do not think it has ever rebounded.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »

Offline 717wildcat

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the replyís. If anyone has not had the same experience as me please let me know. I actually wish people would say itís me because then I know Iím the issue and not the river. But I just find it hard when I set up on so many ideal spots and get nothing. I remember when I was constantly seeing bait fish and crawdads. I donít see hardly any now. Maybe the monsoon last year pushed the bait further down. Maybe the constant rain pushed a lot of untreated sewage into the river and made conditions worse. I am not sure. For now I will do as Bill said and keep trying.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 07:40:28 AM »
2017 was awesome! This year I probaly have not had any bass over 3 pounds.

Online afishinado

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:50:09 AM »
Smallie fishing on the Susky has been tough for me as well.  And  I have talked to some really good fishermen and guides, and everyone has had the same experience.  No real patterns emerged on where, when and how to catch fish.  Most just catching random fish here and there, and that's if you're lucky!  Looking to see the report from the PFBC from their shocking surveys of both adult and YOY fish.  They may be shocking, indeed! :o

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 01:29:02 PM »

I am 74 years old. About 6 years ago I was thinking about a new G3 from Lakeside Marine.

Maybe I am wrong and things will get better. But I don't think so.
Bill 

I cherry picked your quote ,Bill, to what kind of applies to me.  I'm 74 also and I'm kind of rehashing some things you already know.  I bought my 2012 Rockproof used at a decent price and put a little more into because of all the great fishing stories I heard and 4 or 5 great outings with a friend a few years earlier.  Like I said things started out pretty good but have gone down hill.  I'm hoping things get better and the Rockproof is not for sale.  It's paid for and not causing any hardships parked in my pole building.  I'm not questioning anything your saying Bill, I just hope your wrong. :)

I just had to come back and say that friend I mentioned, just bought a slightly used G3 with a 40/30 Japanese something on it about a month ago.  He hasn't had it in the Susky yet.  He put it in at Blue Marsh just to familiarize himself with it. He's hoping too. ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:40:56 PM by 1iarrowking »
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 01:29:02 PM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
I hired Bob Clouser to take me out of Middletown in 1985. We probably caught 100 smallmouth that day on grubs but my recollection is that there werenít any above 16Ē.   Over the next several years I went out with a neighbor and we never came close to numbers like that. As a matter of fact we got skunked often.  I do think that there is something to knowing where they are via experience and days on the water.

I donít question that the river is not as healthy as it once was. I have days that are better than others, but my success is better now on a consistent basis than it was 5 years ago, but I think that has more to do with me getting better at it.  One thing that I have been doing is staying in an area when I am catching them and moving when I am not. 

I have gotten back to the ramp after having a good day and hear other guys say that they struck out.  I think overall the number of fish in the river is down so they arenít everywhere.   If you get lucky and find them and conditions are right you can have a good day. 

I will say that I have not been happy with the weather over the last few years and the impact it has had. Now that I have retired I donít go on the weekends or if the conditions are not good. That means I only get out once or twice a week and sometimes not at all.  Hopefully now that the water temperature is dropping they will turn on and the weather will let us fish into late December or even January.

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:25 PM »
Yes I would say there seems to be less fish in certain areas But if you fish all day like I do and that's because I am driving from philly   So I don't have the river near by to fish a few hours and also don't have a jet boat I have a 14 foot grizzly with a 9.9 Honda prop for when the waters above 4 foot so I can get to certain areas that hold fish. And also have a kayak which I use when the waters low and ill wade in certain areas. So over the past few weeks I been doing good one day I had 50 bass to 19 inches with some real nice chunkers other times I get 20, And I really work hard with long days for those fish, Also found where they wouldn't take certain lures in one hole but blast another one. So you can still catch fish just got to fish long days and change lures.

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:55 AM »
  Nobody going to mention the "elephant in the room"  AKA the 10lb+ Flatheads in the river. I'll agree that the river has it's problems with certain pollutants in the water, but as the Flatheads move up river I'll bet other fish populations diminish. In the 90's the lower Schuylkill had boom in Flatheads after the PFBC accidentally stocked them(which I'm sure is how they got in other waters). As the Flatheads boomed the smallies diminished to the point where catching one became an event. Now that the Flatheads have eaten themselves out of forage their numbers and sizes have gotten smaller and smallies aren't quite as rare as they were in that portion of the Schuylkill....but still not (nor ever will be) back to pre Flathead days

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »
  Nobody going to mention the "elephant in the room"  AKA the 10lb+ Flatheads in the river.

;) :) 8)  I enjoyed your simile/metaphor

flatheads = elephants

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »
  Nobody going to mention the "elephant in the room"  AKA the 10lb+ Flatheads in the river. I'll agree that the river has it's problems with certain pollutants in the water, but as the Flatheads move up river I'll bet other fish populations diminish. In the 90's the lower Schuylkill had boom in Flatheads after the PFBC accidentally stocked them(which I'm sure is how they got in other waters). As the Flatheads boomed the smallies diminished to the point where catching one became an event. Now that the Flatheads have eaten themselves out of forage their numbers and sizes have gotten smaller and smallies aren't quite as rare as they were in that portion of the Schuylkill....but still not (nor ever will be) back to pre Flathead days

So true! I know of 2 main bass wintering holes on the Susky and Juni that have totally changed due to flathead invasion.

The hole on the Juni -  you could catch 20 to 40 bass on any given day but now it's hard to catch 4 or 5 fish. We have springtime tournaments near the one and none of our guys have caught a limit from that hole in the last 2 years. That hole has produced over 140 flats this summer that I know of and all have been killed. Flats have come on like a good batch of jock itch in the middle of summer. :o
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:02:48 AM by jonsie »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »

So true! I know of 2 main bass wintering holes on the Susky and Juni that have totally changed due to flathead invasion.

The hole on the Juni -  you could catch 20 to 40 bass on any given day but now it's hard to catch 4 or 5 fish. We have springtime tournaments near the one and none of our guys have caught a limit from that hole in the last 2 years. That hole has produced over 140 flats this summer that I know of and all have been killed. Flats have come on like a good batch of jock itch in the middle of summer. :o
Sounds like I should not release them? I stopped using crankbaits at sundown because flatheads destroy them or break my line.

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »
Sounds like I should not release them? I stopped using crankbaits at sundown because flatheads destroy them or break my line.

We keep them. They taste better than walleye. Plus we are trying to save some of the other fish from these predators.

These fish will eat crankbaits? Very interesting....Any tips?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:55:19 PM by jonsie »

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com