132 Guests, 7 Users

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 279 times)  Share 

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Braid
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Curious anyone's opinion on braid. I use mono and do use flurocarbon for jerkbaits. i have tried braid seriously 2 times and decided I did not like it. Yet if it is so popular I feel I must be missing something? I rarely fish what I would consider heavy cover, however on occasion (not the Susquehanna) I do pitch and I can see where braid would be of value there.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Braid
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Braid
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 10:46:17 AM »
Curious anyone's opinion on braid. I use mono and do use flurocarbon for jerkbaits. i have tried braid seriously 2 times and decided I did not like it. Yet if it is so popular I feel I must be missing something? I rarely fish what I would consider heavy cover, however on occasion (not the Susquehanna) I do pitch and I can see where braid would be of value there.

I suspect we have similar genes (DNA)...  Or... we are just old and stubborn.  ;) :)

I too have tried braid on numerous occasions beginning with Spider Wire when it first came out and one of the newer braids about 5 years ago.  Just cannot get used to it. I have left it on one baitcaster but everything else has Trilene XL or Trilene fluorocarbon.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 11:16:49 AM »
I was probably attracted to braid originally because of the smaller diameter.  That allows much more line to be put on small finesse baitcasters.  I will use 10lb, 15lb, or 30lb braid and then a lighter fluoro leader for all bottom contact or worm applications.  The reason for the leader isn't so much for visibility as it is for breaking off when hung up.  I like the sensitivity of it along with the durability.  I have some reels that have the same braid I put on 13 years ago.

I do use either mono or fluorocarbon line for crankbaits, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits.

Keep in mind that braid needs to be broken in.  It is better after a few trips out with it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:22:17 AM by zelmo »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
I suspect we have similar genes (DNA)...  Or... we are just old and stubborn.  ;) :)

I too have tried braid on numerous occasions beginning with Spider Wire when it first came out and one of the newer braids about 5 years ago.  Just cannot get used to it. I have left it on one baitcaster but everything else has Trilene XL or Trilene fluorocarbon.

Bill
I think you are correct  ;)
I appreciate the response. I really feel like I was missing something. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I also do not use fluorocarbon for spinning - seems to roll off badly due to more stiffness. I do not play games with line. If it is not performng well it gets changed. In the springtime I have changed my ultralight every other day.
Phil

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 03:00:43 PM »
I've tried braids, like the strength but forget my reading glasses half the time to tie on new leaders. Fluorocarbon seems to get brittle and breaks easier on those rock bites so I always seem to be coming back to mono. Thank goodness I have enough rods to have all three along.

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »
I would rather mono, but run braid on just about everything. Once you get used to the feel of braid, it is so hard to go back to the rubberband feel of mono. Don't go to the darkside of braid cause you will never go back...haha

65# braid for muskie
40# braid to spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, larger swimbaits, flipping
20# braid to jerks, squarebills, small swimbaits
15# braid to leader for all rubber (small jigs)

I do feel that fish can see braid and makes a difference on PRESSURED fish. So on vertical baits (jigs, worms) I usually use a leader. With moving baits I tie braid direct.

I don't think one is better than the other - they are just different tools in your toolbox.

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »
 I'm old school 85% of my fishing is done with good old mono - sort of.  Silver Thread AN-40 is a co-polymer line having a thinner diameter than regular mono. The AN formula is supposed to be "all weather" and I've had better luck with it in the cooler months. I use 6lb on my everyday spinning outfits(1 - I have with 10lb for rare catfish trips). On the baitcasters I have it in 10+17lb(they were out of 12lb bulk spools). Walmart had bulk spools on clearance sale a year or two back ... think I'm good for my time left LOL. I spool most of my reels about halfway with white butchers twine for "filler" them put on my line. It can get interesting if I hook a decent striper from shore with the 6lb outfits and I've had to chase one or two down in boats... BUT nothing else has come close to "spooling" me.  I don't troll so really have no need for 200yrds of line on a reel

I do have braid on 1 baitcaster(30lb) for heavy cover and 1 spinning reel(10lb ?) that I'm playing with for dropshots with a leader. I've tried braid for shad, smallies and musky I think I get better casting distance with the Silver Thread. I've also got loops/birdsnests in the braid which are near impossible to get out and had the braid loop over the top guide and snap on the next cast sending my lure flying.

Online Squid Flathead

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »
There's such a tradeoff of properties between line materials that there will always be at least 2 schools of thought on what line is better.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to what you are doing... the right tool for the job, so to speak.  I encourage you to find what works best for you for the application you need.

Braid - No stretch makes for excellent sensitivity for bass fishing... best strike detection for jigs and worms by far, hands down... but sensitivity is not so important on moving baits like cranks, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits.  Most guys like using a mono of fluoro leader to keep the line by the lure invisible.

In fact for cranks, jerkbaits and top water, braid is a detriment because it there's no shock-proofing... you'll rip the trebles out of the fish's mouths with braid whereas mono stretches a little and you keep the fish on the line more often.

Braid on a baitcaster is risky business for me because it can be nearly impossible to fix your spool quick if you let it free-spool too much.  Braid will make nasty knots that are almost impossible to untie. 

Braid is lighter and thinner so it will cast further... but it's light weight makes it a pain in the wind.

I fish heavy weights on the bottom with a 3-way rig.  I like using braid as my main line on my spinning reels... heavy braid ensures my rigs break off at the weight or the hooks so I never lose my swivel or any main line... I can use the same spool of main line for years, just trimming the frayed part close to the swivel from time to time. 

For bottom fishing with my baitcaster I use mono because I don't want to make a mess of my spool.  Fishing at night makes it more important to have that forgiveness.

For bottom bouncing bass fishing, I use 20# braid with a 10# fluoro leader.  For bass fishing with moving baits, I use mono.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com