132 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: It is time !!  (Read 148 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
It is time !!
« on: November 05, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
Haven't fished for 7 months  :o

Air temp 58F...Water temp 49F... Partly cloudy with calm winds...Still a little warm but getting more to my liking  ;)

Sunbury gauge tells me that the water is at a decent level for my favorite winter pastime and water color looked perfect.

I soon determined that the smallmouth were not as happy with conditions as I was.

Only had one smallmouth hit my offering in about 2 hours.

I did have a little excitement when a 3 foot esox took my Undulator...Right in the corner of the mouth...After 2 jumps and 5 runs away from the shoreline my 6 lb. test gave up and off the Musky went.

The water might not be cold enough yet and the migratory smallmouth south of me might not have come up my way yet.

T'was good to get out and get my feet wet. (Just kidding ;D)

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

It is time !!
« on: November 05, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: It is time !!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
Well, you might not have caught as many as you would have liked but you did go fishing. 

I was wondering about something regarding the way you fish.  When you are wading the shoreline are you casting out into the river, or are you casting upstream or downstream back to the shoreline?

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »
...When you are wading the shoreline are you casting out into the river, or are you casting upstream or downstream back to the shoreline?

I do whatever my little friends want  ;)  :D

Most of the time the cast is 90 degrees straight out...with a very slow lift of the rod tip and a slow retrieve of the jig up along the downstream shoreline. In high water (which is the best time to find them in winter)...when they are holding tight to the shoreline...that is when they take it.

But ... and especially with an upriver wind...the cast will be as far upstream and as close to the shoreline as they are seeming to hold and as far upstream as I can cast. You get more hangups doing this but the upriver wind will slow the movement of the jig downstream and give them more time to take it. It can be very productive.

The cold nights coming this weekend might bring more migratory aliens to my stretch of he river.

Bill

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »
Good to see your posts again! I look forward to your daily recaps and pictures.
I fished from Hoover Island up to the train bridge last week. It was a tough bite. I found, what few we caught, in and behind the flooded willow islands in the middle of the river. Didn't catch a single smallie at the top, down the side, or end of any big islands. This was a few days before the big rain/wind storm last Thursday.
Galatians 2:20

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
...fished from Hoover Island up to the train bridge last week. It was a tough bite. I found, what few we caught, in and behind the flooded willow islands in the middle of the river. Didn't catch a single smallie at the top, down the side, or end of any big islands. This was a few days before the big rain/wind storm last Thursday.

I have not been fishing since March...but most people I speak with are disappointed with this section of the Susquehanna.Those who are at the river a lot tell me the science guys from the PFBC have been on this stretch of the river numerous times.

It has been the hardest hit area for diseases...intersexing and black spots (cancer). I do not think the spawn fared well the last 2 years with high spring/summer flows...and I am told flathead are very numerous.

There have been fewer cormorants...either they are dying (I hope) or more likely there is less food (small fish) for them.

I do not expect bells and whistles nor fireworks this winter. I'm happy at 74 I can still enjoy a few hours doing my thing.

Bill

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 08:06:24 AM »
Haven't fished for 7 months  :o

Air temp 58F...Water temp 49F... Partly cloudy with calm winds...Still a little warm but getting more to my liking  ;)

Sunbury gauge tells me that the water is at a decent level for my favorite winter pastime and water color looked perfect.

I soon determined that the smallmouth were not as happy with conditions as I was.

Only had one smallmouth hit my offering in about 2 hours.

I did have a little excitement when a 3 foot esox took my Undulator...Right in the corner of the mouth...After 2 jumps and 5 runs away from the shoreline my 6 lb. test gave up and off the Musky went.

The water might not be cold enough yet and the migratory smallmouth south of me might not have come up my way yet.

T'was good to get out and get my feet wet. (Just kidding ;D)

Bill

I watch the river gauges upstream as that dramatically affects flow down here. Looking at this gauge
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01554000
I would have thought the water was still high, Conowingo gates have been open for 5 days (have not fully closed). At what level do you consider the water to be too high?
Phil

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:29:21 AM »
... At what level do you consider the water to be too high?
Phil

I watch the Sunbury gauge because that is where I have fished most of my life.

I never ventured out on the main river in a boat when the level was over 12 feet.

The last few years I concentrate on winter wading. I can find eddies and backwater that will hold smallmouth up to about 15 feet but that depends on water color, water temp and the amount of debris. I think all the land owners along where I fish cut their trees and shrubs this year and dumped the debris along the shoreline. It's like a jungle. The flood water wasn't high or fast enough to sweep it away downstream.

Bill

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »
I think all the land owners along where I fish cut their trees and shrubs this year and dumped the debris along the shoreline. It's like a jungle. The flood water wasn't high or fast enough to sweep it away downstream.

I launched out of Goldsboro a few years ago and there was a home owner right across from the ramp on Hill Island who was cutting up a downed tree.  His bright idea to get rid of it was to put it in the river.  He even rolled the trunk sections down the bank and into the water.  Those sections must have been close to three feet in diameter. 

That day and for a couple of weeks after I was paranoid about hitting one as I was running on plane.

I always wondered if it was legal.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com