863 Guests, 4 Users

Author Topic: Slowing down  (Read 1321 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Slowing down
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:36:08 PM »
A well known adage for cold water fishing is to slow down. How do you do that when fishing the Susquehanna with the flow that we typically have this time of year and the smaller/lighter baits being used?  Is the key finding the slower water that allows you to slow down?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Slowing down
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:36:08 PM »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
Re: Slowing down
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »
Yes - you must find slow moving water plus wintering areas.

Best way of learning new water in the wintertime is to troll. Not troll like pulling baits behind the boat. Putting time on the water and paying attention where all the other boats are fishing. Those other boats are there for a reason.

Keep a log. Some holes will have ONLY have fish on them over a certain river height. In other words, higher flows may change where the fish are holding - same for lower flows. I know this is boring but after a few years of data - You will know where to go just by looking at the river heights and time of year. No more guessing or going to a place "cause you think it might be good". Generally bass do the same stuff every year.

Good fishing,

Tim

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 08:54:43 AM »
A well known adage for cold water fishing is to slow down. How do you do that when fishing the Susquehanna with the flow that we typically have this time of year and the smaller/lighter baits being used?  Is the key finding the slower water that allows you to slow down?
I am a big fan of black hair jigs after ice out. I remember an old saying "if you are moving the lure you are fishing too fast." Somewhat in jest but it makes the point.

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »
I am a big fan of black hair jigs after ice out. I remember an old saying "if you are moving the lure you are fishing too fast." Somewhat in jest but it makes the point.

Word!  ;)

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 09:19:30 AM »

Solid black, or do you use black and blue?

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »
Solid black, or do you use black and blue?
That is an interesting question for me! When I first started using hair jigs there was a brand called Butch's Jigs. They were black and blue. Then I started tying my own. For the jon I like 5' rods and make my own. I did an experiment where I put a Butch jig on one and mine (black only) on the other. I would use each for 3 casts and alternate. After a while it was obvious mine were as good or better. Have not used blue and black since. And some of those jigs looked like s___.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
Ok.  What weight do you use, and do you change that as flow increases or decreases?

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 10:33:32 AM »
Ok.  What weight do you use, and do you change that as flow increases or decreases?
1/8 ounce almost always. If it is cold I am looking for slack water. 3/16 ounce in summer, would like to use 1/4 but gets hung up too often.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 10:33:32 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 10:54:48 AM »
Sounds like my problem has been not finding the slack water.  As I think about the areas I fish I canít think of many spots that are obvious.  I am going to have to really study the water and find some.   

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
I found this interesting article by Jeff Little.  https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/winter-smallmouth-fishing-tips.html  I will have to try some of his tips.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com