136 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Hummel's Wharf Power Plant  (Read 529 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Hummel's Wharf Power Plant
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »
Danville water temps showed a drop to 39F...I had to see for myself.

Air 39F Water temp from my glass thermoneter was 37F...WOW!! really dropped.

Fished for 2 hours. Snagged one smallmouth. That tells me they are just sitting still and not moving very much...tooooo cold!!

The power plant at Hummels Wharf is cranked up and there was a lot of condensation evident from the cooling towers. The 3 towers in the back (on the left) are the new smokestacks for the gas fired plant. The two higher towers with the white scaffolding around them are the old coal fired towers.

There were 4 stacks but last week they imploded the 2 towers closest to the river and dropped them right on top of the old plant. In the spring they plant to dynamite the other 2 old towers. These pictures show the towers before the new stacks and before the implosion of the 2 coal stacks.

Most of the hot water is now recycled and very little is put back in the river...so...no warm water discharge anymore.

I probably won't be out again until the water temperature rises a little or until water levels rise a few feet and drive the fish closer to shore.

Just bought a case of CCI .22 ammo.... so I'll be at the range.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Hummel's Wharf Power Plant
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »

Offline icemole

• River Rat
Re: Hummel's Wharf Power Plant
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 11:27:56 AM »
 Way back that was the first spot I tried "warm water" fishing. Was more after walleyes using bait but we caught smallies, carp and cats as well. Didn't set the world on fire but did OK for January. If I remember right we had to "sign in" at a guard shack and the hours were something like 8-5. 

Didn't like not being able to fish "prime times" so explored down at Brunner's Island - which had no "sign in" and you could fish right where the water came out of the plant.  They did restrict access a little bit later on(not much) and also cooled the water down. I believe the new owners have closed the area off to all fishing now.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »
... If I remember right we had to "sign in" at a guard shack and the hours were something like 8-5...

Fishing was allowed on the catwalk of the dam and down along the shoreline as far as you could walk...all you did was sign in at the guard house entrance.

Fishermen lined the shoreline jigging for walleye all fall and winter and there were plenty of walleye there in the 70's and 80's.

Can't tell you how many stringers of six 9" smallmouth I saw taken from that catwalk and shoreline.

When the warm water was left out of the plant the water became agitated like a wash machine from the scores of smallmouth bass chasing minnows and crayfish. It was indeed a sight. The water was in the 50's for miles downstream. Once I recorded a water temp over 90 in summer and it wasn't near that hot out.

All that petered out in the 90's and after 9/11/2001 no one was allowed to fish there anymore.

You can still get there by boat and you may catch some fish but the scenes that I described are gone forever.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:01:45 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com