141 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: More frustration  (Read 279 times)  Share 

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
More frustration
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »
I can't win.

Tuesday was a perfect day.  Little wind, river at a good level and clarity, and moderate air temperatures.  Water temp was 43.

First couple of hours didn't produce anything but after it warmed up a little I started catching very nice fish.  Once I found them I had 7 smallmouth over 18" in an hour.  It was looking like it was going to turn out to be a great day.   I put the TM on anchor and sat down facing the stern to take off the bibs since I was getting too warm and I started to smell something.  Then I saw smoke drift by.

I turned around and saw that the TM plug was on fire!  Good thing the fire extinguisher that has been on the boat unused for 14 years worked.  Luckily the flames didn't damage the graph that is mounted above the plug or anything else.

I thought about continuing to fish without the TM but thought better of it.  The area I was in would have been difficult to work without it, plus I wasn't sure if there were going to be more wiring problems so I headed for the ramp.

I guess I need to fall back on my mantra that a good day is one when you get home safely.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

More frustration
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: More frustration
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »
Sorry to hear that! On my bassboat I have the trolling motor hardwired in with solder. Disconnects can be a problem on hi amp devices.   

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
I thought about hard wiring as I did the repair, but decided to just replace what I had.

After researching this issue I found out that you need to check these connections on a regular basis.  I hadn't done anything since replacing the TM 2 years ago and who's to say I got the connections tight enough back then.  Now that I know better I assure you they are tight and I will be monitoring for heat when I am using it.  If it is a problem again I will change it.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »
If you use the receptacle for charging hardwire is not a good option. I know the plug in on my jon is questionable. Probably change out with a twist lock.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
It was originally twist lock. After my incident last week I replaced both male and female with the same.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com