149 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Winter activities  (Read 1994 times)  Share 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Winter activities
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »
Now we have new tails dyed here is my latest tie. Have not used yet but spring I will be trying these and the Fitt lures..
With bucktail:

With faux bucktail

Looks good but will it catch fish?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Winter activities
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:11:04 PM »

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: Winter activities
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »
They look good a fish would be crazy not to want them.
Fish on...

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:21:30 AM »
They look good to me!!   :)

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:32:23 AM »
Anybody have "spot-lock"? I like the concept. Do not like the price! I would like to know how it positions the boat relative to the spot. In my mind theoretically one might need to be facing any direction once locked on a spot. For example if I have a spot just outside a canal inlet, I would want to be out in the river facing the spot not in the canal facing the spot. How does that work?

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:32:23 AM »

Offline pabassman

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:48:28 AM »
Spot lock is a game changer. The convenience is incredible. Once you "lock" on the bow will stay within 3 to 4 feet on that spot. Wind and current will turn and move the boat but the bow will face upwind/up current . Two of my tourney partners have ultrex motors and we always use their boat in cold/deep water fishing conditions.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »
Spot lock is a game changer. The convenience is incredible. Once you "lock" on the bow will stay within 3 to 4 feet on that spot. Wind and current will turn and move the boat but the bow will face upwind/up current . Two of my tourney partners have ultrex motors and we always use their boat in cold/deep water fishing conditions.
I would like to know how one can change the direction to a waypoint. If I were fishing a hump say facing east. How would you reposition to fish the same hump facing west? Thanks!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 09:48:36 AM »
I chose a Motorguide Xi5 over the Ultrex due to price and compatibility with Lowrance.  They call it anchor instead of spot lock.

There are several ways to accomplish what you want to do.  With all you need to consider current as the system will put you over your spot and then the boat will position based on the current.  You can just go to where you want and put it on anchor at that location.  Or you can set a waypoint (with the Xi5 and Lowrance) and tell it to go to that waypoint.  With both the boat will position based on the direction of the current.  You can then adjust the location in 5' increments in the four points of the compass. 

There is also a heading feature that I use often.  Point the TM in the direction you want to go and it will take you there.  I also use this feature for back-trolling.  I can drift with the current and point the TM in a direction that will keep me on the line I want to be on.  Adjusting the TM speed will let you speed up or slow down the drift.

Using this I don't feel the need to add Power Poles.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »
I would like to know how one can change the direction to a waypoint. If I were fishing a hump say facing east. How would you reposition to fish the same hump facing west? Thanks!

If I understand your question correctly you can't.  The current will determine the direction you are facing.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »
If I understand your question correctly you can't.  The current will determine the direction you are facing.
That makes sense! I am also thinking how it would behave with little or no current. I fish Raystown April and May.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »
I chose a Motorguide Xi5 over the Ultrex due to price and compatibility with Lowrance.  They call it anchor instead of spot lock.

There are several ways to accomplish what you want to do.  With all you need to consider current as the system will put you over your spot and then the boat will position based on the current.  You can just go to where you want and put it on anchor at that location.  Or you can set a waypoint (with the Xi5 and Lowrance) and tell it to go to that waypoint.  With both the boat will position based on the direction of the current.  You can then adjust the location in 5' increments in the four points of the compass. 

There is also a heading feature that I use often.  Point the TM in the direction you want to go and it will take you there.  I also use this feature for back-trolling.  I can drift with the current and point the TM in a direction that will keep me on the line I want to be on.  Adjusting the TM speed will let you speed up or slow down the drift.

Using this I don't feel the need to add Power Poles.
Thanks much!! Right now I am recovering from sticker shock. I really like the idea. But cost - not so much. Also I would have to decide on whether I want it for the bass boat or the jon/jet. I use the jon most of the time in the river and I can see where it would be great for holding in current. I will have to look at the Motorguide also. I would not need a 24V trolling motor for the jon and I definitely would have to have cable steer also.

Years ago I had one of the first cable-less trolling motors (I think it was motorguide), and it did not hold up well in the weather. I hated it and when it crapped out (left on the jon all the time in the weather), it was probably worth repair, I put it in the trash.

I am kinda low tech.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:29:28 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »
I don't think the Xi5 would work on the jon if you take it in skinny water.  There isn't a cable to lift it to avoid rocks or to  run shallow. 

The bass boat is a different story.  There are also mounts that would let you move it between boats if you use a plug instead of hard wire.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
That makes sense! I am also thinking how it would behave with little or no current. I fish Raystown April and May.

If there is no current wind can determine which way you face.  If there is no current and no wind it will swing around the mark aimlessly.  I haven't been up to Raystown since I put the Xi5 on but I think most of the time there is enough current or wind to keep you pointed in one direction.

I have been down to the flats and the tide there determines which way you face.  I have been in the Conowingo Pool when the dam is not pulling water and there is usually enough wind to work.  It doesn't take much; just so you don't have dead calm.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:17:33 AM by zelmo »

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
If there is no current wind can determine which way you face.  If there is no current and no wind it will swing around the mark aimlessly.  I haven't been up to Raystown since I put the Xi5 on but I think most of the time there is enough current or wind to keep you pointed in one direction.

I have been down to the flats and the tide there determines which way you face.  I have been in the Conowingo Pool when the dam is not pulling water and there is usually enough wind to work.  It doesn't take much; just so you don't have dead calm.
Excellent - thanks! I will be looking at this stuff. I like all the possibilities. Just do not like the cost.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 09:06:31 PM »
I had gone out with a guide on Okeechobee a couple of years ago who had power poles and an Ultrex.  He used both and I was impressed, but when I looked into it the cost turned me off too. It wasnít until my TM died and I had to do something that I decided to spring for it.  I am very glad that I did but I needed that urgency to pull the trigger. 

Hereís another aspect that you might not think about.  I used to always have a bicycle seat at the bow that I could lean against for balance as I worked the foot pedal. I never use the foot pedal anymore and donít even have the seat on the boat. I am usually alone and I roam from the bow to the stern to work a spot thoroughly.   Using the remote you are no longer nailed to the bow and I think it is easier on the body since I am in a better position to cast. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 08:11:25 AM »
Good info - thanks!!

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 08:11:25 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com