314 Guests, 2 Users

Author Topic: Winter activities  (Read 1528 times)  Share 

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Winter activities
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
I decided to try the "small craw" tie on a stand up jig. Tied on a 3/16 oz. I use a 3/16 oz round head with chunk, often. I am going to try the stand up with no trailer. So I am going to weigh the jig n chunk and pour a jig to match that weight since that fall speed works well.

Haven't decided how to trim the legs or flash yet. I think this tie looks better on the stand up.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
Very nice. A crayfish in a defensive attitude. Should get their attention.

Is that a football jig or a flat sided stand-up football jig?

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 12:55:42 PM »
Very nice. A crayfish in a defensive attitude. Should get their attention.

Is that a football jig or a flat sided stand-up football jig?

Bill
Hi Bill'' That is on stand up jig from a Hilts mold HDS-M. I thought the side view showed it better. My first post is on a football jig using "ice dub." When I put it in the water I could see it should do better on a stand up jig. The stand up tie uses pseudo hair for the dubbing - I thought it was more natural looking.  The defensive posture is new to me - but I am thinking it should work! Phil

Offline DRY

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
This video shows the defensive (claws-up, waving in the current) position of the predator craw on a  flutterhead jig.

Might try tying that hair crayfish pattern on a flutterhead jig. Might be interesting.

Bill

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
Hi Bill,
I will check out some of those heads. Thanks for the video. Here is where I got the idea:

Looks like a Winco video, can you put the link here for the other videos? Thanks Phil

Offline DRY

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 08:08:27 PM »
...Looks like a Winco video, can you put the link here for the other videos? Thanks Phil

There are a few of Winco's You Tube videos scattered here and there on the internet and you can find them by searching for them on the internet or on YouTube.com but the library of videos that he had on his old website is gone.

Bill

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 07:46:59 AM »
There are a few of Winco's You Tube videos scattered here and there on the internet and you can find them by searching for them on the internet or on YouTube.com but the library of videos that he had on his old website is gone.

Bill
:'(

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »
My stand up jig tie is definitely just a prototype. The more I look at it I know it needs changed. I am going to experiment with a few ties and not use head cement until I finalize the lure. Without cement I can dismantle it easily.

However after inspection in water I am going to try the football jig with a chunk. I will compare it to my standard jig n chunk.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 10:49:41 AM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »
Here is my next version. Will not stand up dry, behaves just right in the water. All the materials are buoyant.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »
Hi Bill,
I will check out some of those heads. Thanks for the video. Here is where I got the idea:

Looks like a Winco video, can you put the link here for the other videos? Thanks Phil
I guess I do have some flutter heads!

Phil

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 11:06:03 AM »
I got my Ultrex in 2017 to replace the POS that was on my used Rockproof when I bought it.  It makes fishing in the river so mush better because you get to fish instead of jogey the  boat.  As has been said it will keep the motor within 2 or 3 feet of where you hit anchor.  It will change location by 5 feet each time you hit an arrow key in any direction.  I also like to put it on a course and then set the motor a little slower than the current for a controlled drift.  I usually fish about 5 or 6 hours and have never run out of battery running almost constantly and my boat weighs a ton.  My Walmart batteries came with a two year warranty in 2017.  They were still strong enough last year, we'll see about this year soon.  Also, I hit a rock the first year and broke the shaft.  I took it to a warranty repair shop in Bowmanstown.  They replaced the shaft and the internal motor shaft which they said was bent from the impact.  The bill said NO CHARGE, WARRANTY REPAIR.   
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 11:06:03 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com