123 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Keep climbing baby!!  (Read 401 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Keep climbing baby!!
« on: January 25, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Keep climbing baby!!
« on: January 25, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Keep climbing baby!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
Keep climbing baby  :)
Keep climbing  ;D

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwisweb/graph?agency_cd=USGS&site_no=01540500&parm_cd=00010&period=7
Hi Bill,
What temp are you going out? I am keeping track of your depth preferences! I might try to duplicate what you do going out of Marietta. That is above all the power generation dams. Going to have to be from boat. Cannot wade too much York side at Long level (most is private) or Marietta. I have not fished there in a while but I do know the water. I usually fish below Holtwood and water levels are significantly affected by the dams.
Water temp at Safe Harbor is 34 degrees
Your successes are obvious!! Phil

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:38:25 AM »
Hi Bill,
What temp are you going out? I am keeping track of your depth preferences! I might try to duplicate what you do going out of Marietta. That is above all the power generation dams. Going to have to be from boat. ...

1. Water depth (or flow)
When you get below Lancaster I believe water depth is more or less irrelevant because the levels are fairly deep due to the downstream dams. Water flow (discharge or cubic feet per second flow) is probably more important because the faster the flow then the more the smallmouth will seek calmer water along the shoreline or somewhere out of the high flows. Of course safety is important and you don't want to risk high flows out in a boat. I feel much safer walking the shoreline during high water flows. If you go out in a boat I would stick close to shore and look for eddies because that is where they will be.
Here's a graph showing streamflow at Harrisburg (couldn't find one for Marietta)

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/01570500/

2. Water temperature
I will probably start trying the shoreline up here when the water reaches 38F for a day or two. But I really don't expect much activity until 40F.

Small baits with a small profile fished very slow (deadstick) along the shoreline.

Up here at Selinsgrove the water is predicted to crest at 16 feet on Monday and if the water temperature gets up to 38F I should be able to scrounge up some fish next week.

Bill

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:38 PM »
Hi Bill,
I would say below Rt30 flow is affected by the dams. That is why I am looking at Marietta. I believe the water flow there is based on what is happening upstream. Here is Marietta flow:
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01576000
My goal is the eddies! I actually have a few spots in mind. Probably beach the boat to fish - flow there is considerable! A little higher water makes it easier to navigate south of Marietta (shallow and rocky).
Thanks
Phil

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:27:38 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »
2. Water temperature
I will probably start trying the shoreline up here when the water reaches 38F for a day or two. But I really don't expect much activity until 40F.
Safe Harbor is up to 39 degrees!

Offline DRY

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 04:12:34 PM »
Safe Harbor is up to 39 degrees!

Just can't seem to get past 37 up here....but Bill is watching. I drove down to the old girl today. She looks beautiful.  ::) :)

Bill

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 10:43:10 PM »
Just can't seem to get past 37 up here....but Bill is watching. I drove down to the old girl today. She looks beautiful.  ::) :)

Bill

I was out on Frederic on Monday.  Based on the online reports I wasnt expecting to find water above 38.  Surprisingly it bounced between 37 and 43 depending on where I was.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 11:08:11 AM »
I was out on Frederic on Monday.  Based on the online reports I wasnt expecting to find water above 38.  Surprisingly it bounced between 37 and 43 depending on where I was.
Never fished up there. How did you do? Phil

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 11:08:11 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »
Never fished up there. How did you do? Phil

In the morning I tried small tubes and all of the Willie sizes and didnt get a bite.  Around noon I switched to jigs with medium trailers and got two.  One was 19 and the other was a little over 20.  Worked that area for about an hour and didnt have any more action.

I went back to a spot I tried earlier that is usually productive to see if later in the day was the answer.  After an hour there without a bite I gave up and headed home.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »
In the morning I tried small tubes and all of the Willie sizes and didnt get a bite.  Around noon I switched to jigs with medium trailers and got two.  One was 19 and the other was a little over 20.  Worked that area for about an hour and didnt have any more action.

I went back to a spot I tried earlier that is usually productive to see if later in the day was the answer.  After an hour there without a bite I gave up and headed home.
Sounds good to me! Phil

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:40:38 PM »
Good read!! I would like to try and do some shore fishing.
 My one friend does a lot of shore fishing through the winter to keep from getting bored. He says he catches decent fish on tubes.

Currently water temp has been hanging around 33-35 up here.
Some ice floating on the water this morning.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:42:12 PM by Pawatch »
Fish on...

Offline DRY

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 10:04:08 PM »
...I would like to try and do some shore fishing.
 My one friend does a lot of shore fishing through the winter to keep from getting bored. He says he catches decent fish on tubes.

Currently water temp has been hanging around 33-35 up here.
Some ice floating on the water this morning.

Where is up here?
All my winter smallmouth fishing is from shore.
33-35F is a little too cold for much success in my experience.
When the water temp reaches 38-40F walk the shoreline fishing any eddies where there is calm water. When the water levels are higher it is usually better (at least for me) because there are more shoreline eddies and the bass are driven closer to shore to get out of the current.
Small tubes 2-3 inches and small lures with thin profiles do best for me.

Bill

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 10:04:08 PM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 10:12:10 PM »
Where is up here?
All my winter smallmouth fishing is from shore.
33-35F is a little too cold for much success in my experience.
When the water temp reaches 38-40F walk the shoreline fishing any eddies where there is calm water. When the water levels are higher it is usually better (at least for me) because there are more shoreline eddies and the bass are driven closer to shore to get out of the current.
Small tubes 2-3 inches and small lures with thin profiles do best for me.

Bill

Sorry...Williamsport on the West Branch. Thanks for the suggestions!
Fish on...

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 10:12:10 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com