127 Guests, 5 Users

Author Topic: Gettin' low  (Read 1276 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Gettin' low
« on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
Sure glad Corvid-19 is not a waterborne disease.  ::)  :)  You don't come in close contact with anyone wading the Susquehanna.

Water levels are getting low for my kind of fishing. Need rain.

Could be the see-saw temps that have them upset also but only picked up 2 today and both on the Willie Wannabee. They were both nice smallmouth in the 2.5 lb class...one with black on his tail.

Now if I could only find some toilet paper!!   >:(

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Gettin' low
« on: March 18, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Gettin' low
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 08:26:11 AM »
Bill, 0.7 inches at Safe Harbor last night. Can you show a close up on how the strands are under the O ring on the Willie Wannabes? I pulled the short strands out and placed longer ones. Now I got the O rings. I also noticed my strands are thinner.
Thanks
Phil

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:27:50 AM »
...Can you show a close up on how the strands are under the O ring on the Willie Wannabes? I pulled the short strands out and placed longer ones. Now I got the O rings. I also noticed my strands are thinner...

I spoke with Al Winco when I got the Fitt order...he recommends the silicone be placed as close to the head as possible and a little shorter than the body. There are 4 very fine silicone strands. Place the o-ring on the second rib of the body...Fitt placed theirs farther back...I'm catching them on the Fitt so I am not sure the fish care.

Here is one of Winco's Willie Wannabees...

Bill

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:26:24 PM »
a real nice smallie bill jf7

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:26:24 PM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »
I spoke with Al Winco when I got the Fitt order...he recommends the silicone be placed as close to the head as possible and a little shorter than the body. There are 4 very fine silicone strands. Place the o-ring on the second rib of the body...Fitt placed theirs farther back...I'm catching them on the Fitt so I am not sure the fish care.

Here is one of Winco's Willie Wannabees...

Bill
Thanks much! I also saw that on youtube the billycat70 channel has a bunch of Al WInco videos!
Phil

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »
Dry
They sure are some nice fish your catching!! Making memories for sure...
The river should be getting a 4-5' boost up here with, last nights and tonight's rain. I don't know what equates to down your way.
Again thanks for sharing!!
Fish on...

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
...The river should be getting a 4-5' boost up here with, last nights and tonight's rain. I don't know what equates to down your way...

I'm watching the river forecast at Sunbury...could be some higher water and better fishing on the way... ;D

Bill

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:54 AM »
Dry
They sure are some nice fish your catching!! Making memories for sure...
The river should be getting a 4-5' boost up here with, last nights and tonight's rain. I don't know what equates to down your way.
Again thanks for sharing!!
https://safewaters.com/facility/9

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:54 AM »

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 04:11:53 PM »
I'm watching the river forecast at Sunbury...could be some higher water and better fishing on the way... ;D

Bill

Hope so! I'm coming up your way next Wednesday thru Saturday. Will keep an eye out for you when we're near the "Isle". Will be in a tan RiverPro. I'll be sure to stay at least 10' away!
Galatians 2:20

Offline DRY

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »
...I'm coming up your way next Wednesday thru Saturday. Will keep an eye out for you when we're near the "Isle". Will be in a tan RiverPro. I'll be sure to stay at least 10' away!

I'll keep my eye out for you. I'll be there every day "if the Good Lord's willin', and the creek don't rise"...  ;) too much at least  :).

Kinda surprised you're making the trip during the "pandemic."

Bill

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
I'll keep my eye out for you. I'll be there every day "if the Good Lord's willin', and the creek don't rise"...  ;) too much at least  :).

Kinda surprised you're making the trip during the "pandemic."

Bill

4 of us, two boats. Renting a house in the Selinsgrove area so we can cook our meals but bringing most of the food with us. Been keeping an eye on closures and boat ramps are not impacted....yet.....fingers crossed they will remain open. Added silicone strands to some Willie Wannabee's today per your picture so hope they will be the ticket!
Galatians 2:20

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:12 PM »
4 of us, two boats. Renting a house in the Selinsgrove area so we can cook our meals but bringing most of the food with us. Been keeping an eye on closures and boat ramps are not impacted....yet.....fingers crossed they will remain open. Added silicone strands to some Willie Wannabee's today per your picture so hope they will be the ticket!

Hope you have better luck than Harry and me had today.  Put in at C I at 10:00 in a stiff wind coming straight down the river.  We put in at 10 AM because the wind was supposed to die down in the afternoon but it didn't.  Harry had one nibble right at the start and that was it but we don't have any willie's or undulators.  Between the wind and the current it was almost unfishable.  The Ultrex could just maintain not gain ground on upstream. We packed it in at 2 and it took me three tries to get on the trailer and it usually only takes me one and done at C I.  Also, the west side of the river had so much moss you couldn't fish.  The line and the lure were fouled every cast.  There was no moss on the east half.  Water temperature was 46 degrees.  Good luck.

Ken
The older I get, the better I used to be.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 07:23:12 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 08:16:00 PM »
Hope you have better luck than Harry and me had today.  Put in at C I at 10:00 in a stiff wind coming straight down the river.  We put in at 10 AM because the wind was supposed to die down in the afternoon but it didn't.  Harry had one nibble right at the start and that was it but we don't have any willie's or undulators.  Between the wind and the current it was almost unfishable.  The Ultrex could just maintain not gain ground on upstream. We packed it in at 2 and it took me three tries to get on the trailer and it usually only takes me one and done at C I.  Also, the west side of the river had so much moss you couldn't fish.  The line and the lure were fouled every cast.  There was no moss on the east half.  Water temperature was 46 degrees.  Good luck.

Ken

That weather front that moved in on Friday was a game changer. See-saw temps with colder temps at night...rising water levels from the rain...with strong NNE...winds have caused lock-jaw. We need a few days of steady temps and steady water levels for any real success.

I don't think having wannabees or undulators would have helped you today.

Bill

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 08:15:44 AM »
Went out Muddy Creek. Water temp up to 50 deg. Very low, water clear but heavy flow (water up north). Went up to the rocks no fish. Went down to Muddy Creek area and caught 2 fish. Rarely is the water that clear down here.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »
21 degrees here this morning, looks like a couple inches of snow on the way for tomorrow.
Temp swings sure seems to be slowing things down like Dry mentioned.
Up here "west branch" the river went from 3.5' to 9.5' and probably will crest this morning.
Water temp 44.8 degrees yesterday...

Heavy Duty hope you guys have a good outing.
Fish on...

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:21 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com