1101 Guests, 5 Users

Author Topic: More spots and a Surprise!!  (Read 413 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
More spots and a Surprise!!
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »
Fished in the drizzle this morning. Air 46F and water 45F. Overcast and foggy. Lots of Canada geese out today.

Only picked up 4 bass... but one 2.25 pounder looked like this...(1 out of 4 had black spots)...

About a week ago I had caught a musky on one of my Willie Wannabees...he was sitting in one of my favorite smallmouth holes...never landed him...I've also been catching a few bass with scrapes and abrasions on their sides...

Well today I put on a suspending jerkbait and fished that area...yep...he was still there...had him hooked right on the lip with the back treble...this time I landed him...

Took his picture but didn't weigh or measure...guess he was about 34-35 inches...

I scolded him for messing with my smallmouth  8)...and sent him on his way...(man do they stink)  :P

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

More spots and a Surprise!!
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: More spots and a Surprise!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:42:52 PM »
Dry
That's a decent size musky. A lot of fishermen would be happy to have that on their line.
Pretty impressive...
Fish on...

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »
...That's a decent size musky. A lot of fishermen would be happy to have that on their line...

I catch 1 or 2 every winter and sometimes have several more hook-ups where I fish.

They are more common than walleye...and it did not use to be that way. I believe the PFBC spends more $$$ on musky stocking than walleye.

Bill

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »
https://www.sungazette.com/news/outdoors/2020/03/smallmouth-levels-restored-in-susquehanna-river/
   Unfortunately, I did not make this meeting but you may find something of interest here^

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:34:43 PM »
https://www.sungazette.com/news/outdoors/2020/03/smallmouth-levels-restored-in-susquehanna-river/
   Unfortunately, I did not make this meeting but you may find something of interest here^

Thanks for the link to that newspaper article. I would suggest three things:

1. Flathead DO eat smallmouth bass...the eggs, the fry and juvenile fish.

2. I have not seen the scientific data that indicates the Largemouth Bass Virus causes black spots in bass...but I have seen the scientific data that indicates a small percentage of these spots represent a cancer called melanoma.

3. I and many with whom I speak (who fish the middle and lower Susquehanna) have not seen the rebound in smallmouth bass populations that Geoff Smith says are there..."just saying"...

Bill

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »
I retired 2017. I fish the Susg mostly from June to Oct. 2017 was awesome! 70 days 700 bass. 2018 was going well until the rain came. Numbers indicated I was going to do as well or better than 2017, 40 days 497 bass. 2019 45 days and 348 bass. I am in a real wait and see mode. I really think the rains affected the river.
Down through Muddy Creek  do not see a lot of disease. However this is the worst fish I ever saw:

Per the article I thought it was interesting where Smith cited 2004 as a problem year. From 2000 to 2004? Launching from Peach Bottom we caught awesome numbers of LM. Then it started to decline. I continued to fish there for a couple years. After a while it was obvious something changed. When I heard Clouser was not fishing the Susq anymore I felt I was correct about the decline.

I had some good days last year. But numbers were really down.

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 09:58:07 PM »

Thanks for the link to that newspaper article. I would suggest three things:

1. Flathead DO eat smallmouth bass...the eggs, the fry and juvenile fish.

2. I have not seen the scientific data that indicates the Largemouth Bass Virus causes black spots in bass...but I have seen the scientific data that indicates a small percentage of these spots represent a cancer called melanoma.

3. I and many with whom I speak (who fish the middle and lower Susquehanna) have not seen the rebound in smallmouth bass populations that Geoff Smith says are there..."just saying"...

Bill
I catch 1 or 2 every winter and sometimes have several more hook-ups where I fish.

They are more common than walleye...and it did not use to be that way. I believe the PFBC spends more $$$ on musky stocking than walleye.

Bill
   Agree w/all this. If the FishComm were to survey fisherman they would find nearly all would prefer more and better walleye fishing opportunity-river and lakes.

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »
    Agree w/all this. If the FishComm were to survey fisherman they would find nearly all would prefer more and better walleye fishing opportunity-river and lakes.

For many years I fished walleye lakes in Canada. At that time Canada had conservation lakes where you were allowed to keep only 2 walleye. The lakes were managed on a lake by lake basis and there was not just one regulation for all bodies of water. This is what we do in PA... but for many years I petitioned for lakes and different sections of the Susquehanna to be managed individually based on fishing pressure and the individual re-productiveness of the particular body of water. Those recommendations fell on deaf ears.
I have fished one particular small lake in central PA where there was definitely natural production of walleye. But every fisherman you met took his 6 walleye as often as he could. I know for a fact that frozen walleye do not taste the same and freezers are often cleaned out and old fish thrown away. Makes no sense. That particular lake could have been a "gem" of a walleye lake if it had been managed differently. I don't fish there anymore. Of course pollution has taken its toll but so has over-fishing and mismanagement.

Bill

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com