313 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: fiberglass rod blanks  (Read 380 times)

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
fiberglass rod blanks
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
Since the 80s I have been building rods. I have only ever bought 1 spinning rod due to laziness. That was a Bass Pro rod. Since they no longer offer the Bionic blades with cork, won't be buying any of them. No longer available I bought Fenwick, Loomis, Dale Clemens and St Croix. Now St Croix blanks are no longer available. 2 years ago I got a St Croix graphite blank to replace a broken rod. As I contemplate replacements for either of my 2 fiberglass casting rods (should they be broken and they will), I am finding availability is weak. I am going to try Janns Netcraft. I cannot live without fiberglass for crankbaits and buzzbaits.

Anybody aware of any vendors? BTW I refuse to dish out the big money. I figure if I do not like the Janns Netcraft blanks I will just chuck 'em (cost is pretty low).

Here is my jig:

Phil

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

fiberglass rod blanks
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: fiberglass rod blanks
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »
I have not made any rods for a while but when I did I used Mud Hole for all my blanks and supplies. I was at one time tempted to try their E-glass or S-glass blanks. Give them a look.

https://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/crb-custom-rod-building-blanks/CRB-Value-E-Glass-Rod-Blanks

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:54 AM »
I have not made any rods for a while but when I did I used Mud Hole for all my blanks and supplies. I was at one time tempted to try their E-glass or S-glass blanks. Give them a look.

https://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/crb-custom-rod-building-blanks/CRB-Value-E-Glass-Rod-Blanks

Bill
I was at that site but missed the decent prices your link shows.
Phil

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
 Did you see these on the Mudhole site.... https://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/mhx-rod-building-blanks/MHX-Freshwater-Rod-Blanks/MHX-S-Glass-Blanks ... a little more money but still cheap compared to St Croix anymore. Might also be better suited for a casting rod.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »
Did you see these on the Mudhole site.... https://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks/mhx-rod-building-blanks/MHX-Freshwater-Rod-Blanks/MHX-S-Glass-Blanks ... a little more money but still cheap compared to St Croix anymore. Might also be better suited for a casting rod.
I did thanks. I would just have to figure if I  cut down to 6' would it do want I want. I am using tip size for a reference. Cost within reason is not an issue. Fortunately I found an old Dale Clemens blank in my stash (along with 2 St Croix graphite blanks). This is a light blank for smaller crankbaits. I am using one now that the tip broke 3 times. The tip is about 1" from the next guide. I am thinking about reinforcing the end with an "A" thread underwrap. That will slow the action but it already is slow and desired for the application.
Phil

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 07:59:49 AM »
 My crankbait rod is an old mid 90's fiberglass St Croix. It needs a refurbish job to look pretty but otherwise still functions well.  For as hard as I am on my gear I've managed to avoid breaking my rods for the most part.... probably just "jinxed" myself....  :o

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 09:38:41 AM »
My crankbait rod is an old mid 90's fiberglass St Croix. It needs a refurbish job to look pretty but otherwise still functions well.  For as hard as I am on my gear I've managed to avoid breaking my rods for the most part.... probably just "jinxed" myself....  :o
In the early 90s I was fishing Piscataway Creek(below DC). I built a St Croix fiberglass Rod from a SG-56M blank. I had been using a graphite rod and losing fish left and right on rattle traps. Almost all of the fish I caught on the fiberglass rod resulted in the rattletraps be deep in the mouth every time. Broke that rod. Built another. Broke that. And then the blank was discontinued. So the next rod was built from a  St Croix blank (probably mid 90s), which was a little heavier. Like yours itís still doing OK. Did not like it as much as the SG-56M, but I now use it for a buzz bait and rattle traps. I replaced the SG-56M with a Dale Clemens blank.
I also have a 7 foot St Croix, used for heavier crank baits. Donít use it so often anymore, because that was pretty much a LM Rod.
Iím thinking about reinforcing the tips on all my fiberglass rods.
Phil
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:10:56 AM by Phil Sweeney »

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 09:38:41 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com