316 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Corona Virus: Road travel with boat and trailer 4/1/2020  (Read 612 times)  Share 

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Corona Virus: Road travel with boat and trailer 4/1/2020
« on: April 01, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »
There are currently no travel restrictions throughout PA.
I called State Police. They said one person is even better (than 2 or 3). As long as the launch is open one can fish! I did not want to get in trouble. Phil

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Corona Virus: Road travel with boat and trailer 4/1/2020
« on: April 01, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Corona Virus: Road travel with boat and trailer 4/1/2020
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
I live 5 miles from the area I fish. I wade and am usually only out for 2-3 hours at a time.
I see very few people and those I do see are at quite a distance.  I talked to the town policeman this week and he did not send me home and agreed what I was doing was social distancing.

Being in a boat on the river fishing seems very safe. Concerns would be food and toilets. Drive-thru's seem relatively safe although you never know who's cooking and packing your food. Many restaurants have their toilets closed and I sometimes worry about portable job-johnnies.

All-in-all...fishing seems like a pretty safe thing to do right now.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
I live 5 miles from the area I fish. I wade and am usually only out for 2-3 hours at a time.
I see very few people and those I do see are at quite a distance.  I talked to the town policeman this week and he did not send me home and agreed what I was doing was social distancing.

Being in a boat on the river fishing seems very safe. Concerns would be food and toilets. Drive-thru's seem relatively safe although you never know who's cooking and packing your food. Many restaurants have their toilets closed and I sometimes worry about portable job-johnnies.

All-in-all...fishing seems like a pretty safe thing to do right now.

Bill
I got a "Luggable Lou" for #2!!  ;D
Phil

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »
 Well we sure can't complain about gas prices.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:46:37 PM »
I had looked at the PFBC website and it said fishing was ok. My fear is that with so many not working it will be too crowded for my taste. 

A friend told me that he was out last week and in an area where there are normally 5 boats he saw 30.  Between the river being way up and the weather I havenít been inclined to give it a try.  That may change Monday. 

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 07:57:03 AM »
Peach Bottom (Dorsey Park) is closed. Fortunately Glenn Cove in MD is open $10 fee. I have not launched there since 911.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 08:01:41 AM »
Peach Bottom (Dorsey Park) is closed.

Did you find that online someplace or did you find out the hard way (going there only to find it closed?)  I want to keep track of it so I know when it opens back up.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »
Did you find that online someplace or did you find out the hard way (going there only to find it closed?)  I want to keep track of it so I know when it opens back up.
I found it here under posts:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Conowingo-Visitor-Center-1458303737739233/posts/?ref=page_internal
Scroll down to March 18.
I am not on Facebook you do not have to log in.

Phil
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:28:43 PM by Phil Sweeney »

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 09:45:36 AM »
Thank you.  Dorsey is an hour and twenty minutes + for me.  I would hate to make that drive only to find out it was closed.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 09:52:03 AM »
Based on the Dorsey info I looked at the Safe Harbor site.  https://safewaters.com/facility/9

It talks about no portage and the ramps on Aldred but not about Clarke.  Anybody know if the Lock 2 ramp is open?

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
  I am fortunate enough to have a job that keeps me working but they actually gave us paperwork saying we are a vital and need to drive to and from work. With restrictions changing almost daily here in Pa it's hard to keep up.If I hook up and tow my boat an hour away will I be pulled over? I'm not talking ten minutes to some isolated  shore fishing spot, but  there is no more exposure risk in my trip other than running into  an officer who takes his job maybe a little too seriously.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »
  I am fortunate enough to have a job that keeps me working but they actually gave us paperwork saying we are a vital and need to drive to and from work. With restrictions changing almost daily here in Pa it's hard to keep up.If I hook up and tow my boat an hour away will I be pulled over? I'm not talking ten minutes to some isolated  shore fishing spot, but  there is no more exposure risk in my trip other than running into  an officer who takes his job maybe a little too seriously.

Did you read the story about the woman who was fined in York county?  Apparently when they pulled her over for a traffic violation they asked where she was going.  Since all she said was "just driving around" they fined her.  Maybe she should have told the truth and said she was going to score some crack.  I'm sure that would have been considered essential.

In all seriousness the police in Delaware have been authorized to stop any car with out of state plates and tell them to leave, so who knows what will happen.  I checked again and the PFBC says the ramps are open, and the state is saying outdoor exercise is ok.  Since fishing is a mental health relief therapy I am going with you would be fine depending on your ability to schmooze the police.  Towing a fishing boat is a dead giveaway that you are going fishing.  Towing a wakeboat with 5 in the car might be different.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
I called the PA State Police about the travel. My last call was Friday. As of then they said there are no travel restrictions. I told them I was planning on fishing. They told me I could. I am going today. Before I go to Raystown I will call them again. I also understand certain boroughs are enacting curfews. I went down to Cabin Creek yesterday for recon. I took a rod just in case I was asked what I am doing.
If you are not sure I would call the state police!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 07:54:37 AM »
Here is a link to a follow up story on the York woman getting a citation.  https://www.fox43.com/article/news/local/york-county/lawmaker-requests-clarity-from-gov-wolf-after-troopers-ticket-woman-for-taking-a-drive-while-under-stay-at-home-order/521-0e79e9d8-9381-4fd3-a6b9-e0975c52d132

They don't say if the trooper had a camera on this.  Seems to me the woman probably got mouthy and he slapped the citation on her.  It doesn't help your situation when you are belligerent with the police.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 08:16:54 AM »
Here is a link to a follow up story on the York woman getting a citation.  https://www.fox43.com/article/news/local/york-county/lawmaker-requests-clarity-from-gov-wolf-after-troopers-ticket-woman-for-taking-a-drive-while-under-stay-at-home-order/521-0e79e9d8-9381-4fd3-a6b9-e0975c52d132

They don't say if the trooper had a camera on this.  Seems to me the woman probably got mouthy and he slapped the citation on her.  It doesn't help your situation when you are belligerent with the police.
I do not think it helps telling them you are out for a joy ride.
I just called the State Police again. 4/5/2020 0800. Clear to go fishing! If they do not know who would (rhetorical)?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:32:55 AM by Phil Sweeney »

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 08:16:54 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com