144 Guests, 4 Users

Author Topic: Crowds  (Read 835 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Crowds
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »
The last time I went out was on 4/5.  I used the ramps at Goldsboro and the place was very crowded.  I haven't been interested in fighting the crowds so I have stayed home but I am itching to get out again.

I checked the Blue Marsh website just to see if it was open and they actually have a message warning people to not park on the roads when the lots are full due to the increased activity.  That is not promising.  Those lots are pretty big.

What kind of crowds and pressure are you seeing where you fish?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Crowds
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Crowds
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
I have not been out for a few days. Been working on the jet. New water pump and quick carb overhaul. I did not think it was too bad at Muddy Creek. Getting ready to go to Raystown. 2 days stints staying in Walmart parking lot overnight. Little rough but I got to go. Wish I had a van!! Cannot do more than 2 days because I cannot recharge trolling motor batteries. Used to be during the week was good until everybody got off work. Everybody is off work. We will see! Fortunately its a big lake!! Phil

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »
I hear you.  It isn't the spots on the water so much as the logistics of launching and retrieving by yourself when it is busy.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
Yes a busy day at the launch ramp is free entertainment and/or aggravation. We should ask the moderator to make a sticky titled "Top ten things one should not do at the launch ramp"  ;D

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
 I can believe Blue Marsh being packed on warm spring days like the couple we had last week. When I still had my boat I'd hit it from about 4am-10am on normal weekends and avoided it on holidays weekends during the Memorial-Labor Day time frame. More and more jet skis/water skiers and other pleasure boaters are pushing the "season" these days(even without Corona)

Real entertaining place to watch launch antics though    :o

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
Here is my best Blue Marsh story.

Back when I was working I could only go out on weekends and holidays.  Occasionally my wife would go with me and since she doesn't like going fast in the boat BM was one of the places I went when she was along.

One year I was there on the Sunday of a Labor Day weekend with her.  We had launched around dawn and by noon we were done and headed back to the ramp.  As we approached I saw there was a cargo van on the ramp nose to the water.  As we got closer I realized it was there so someone could jump a jet ski.  Idiot was standing in the water with the jumper cables!  He also had both lanes of the ramp tied up.

I tied up and left my wife with the boat while I went and got the truck.  As I pulled around the line to the ramp was backed up all the way to the end of the lot.  I settled in for a long wait.

After a while I saw a big cloud of smoke.  Shortly after that the van came flying backwards up the ramp and ran up onto the grass and stopped.  Soon there was another big cloud of smoke making it impossible for me to see what was going on.  Before long the park rangers and police were on the scene.  Eventually the line started moving and after about another hour I was out of the water.

Naturally I asked my wife what had happened.  She said that somehow the van had caught on fire.  Several guys grabbed fire extinguishers and put it out.  The driver then backed the van quickly up the ramp and onto the grass.  Being late in the summer the grass was dried out, and the issue with the van hadn't really been resolved so the grass caught fire.  Another rush with fire extinguishers! 

As I was going past the van I could tell there was more going on.  Apparently the rangers and police did not speak Spanish and the driver of the van didn't speak English.  There was a lot of gesturing going on but not much else.  For about 2 weeks after that I kept looking at the online Reading Eagle but never saw a story on the incident.  I can only imagine how the whole thing ended because I left as soon as I could.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »
You can spend hours on youtube watching "How not to launch a boat" and "Boat launch follies."
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
Sometimes on a busy day it's a lot of good entertainment just sitting at boat ramp and watching. I'm retired so I usually try and avoid the crowds.
Fish on...

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com