136 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Musky lures  (Read 485 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Musky lures
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »
I am going to set up a rig for musky fishing and need some suggestions on what color lures to get.  I plan to try DCGs and glide baits.

Is the idea to use something flashy to catch their attention or to try match forage fish?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Musky lures
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Musky lures
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
Let me try asking this a different way. 

What is the primary forage fish for Muskies in the Susquehanna?

Edit: I think I figured this out.  The main forage fish are suckers, chubs, and carp.  PFBC actually has a good information on what is in PA waters.

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/GalleryPennsylvaniaFishes/Pages/Suckers.aspx

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/GalleryPennsylvaniaFishes/Pages/CarpsandMinnows.aspx
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:25:49 AM by zelmo »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:38:22 AM »
"Is the idea to use something flashy to catch their attention or to try match forage fish?"

Don't get caught up on colors EXCEPT for tiger muskies in the lake. The old timers always said any color is fine as long as it is black. I find this to be true. If you don't want to spend alot of money black is always a safe bet. Muskies are easy to catch when they are feeding - problem is that they don't feed much. Their feeding window is very small. Case in point - if they ate alot you would catch them alot more. Another one is that they will eat a 15 to 18" fish and lay around digesting it for 2 weeks or more depending on the water temp.

Good luck!

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »
"Is the idea to use something flashy to catch their attention or to try match forage fish?"

Don't get caught up on colors EXCEPT for tiger muskies in the lake. The old timers always said any color is fine as long as it is black. I find this to be true. If you don't want to spend alot of money black is always a safe bet. Muskies are easy to catch when they are feeding - problem is that they don't feed much. Their feeding window is very small. Case in point - if they ate alot you would catch them alot more. Another one is that they will eat a 15 to 18" fish and lay around digesting it for 2 weeks or more depending on the water temp.

Good luck!
Totally agree with this,musky are opportunistic feeders. When they're feeding almost anything could be on the menu.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:31:49 PM by stonecat »

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »
 Musky are curious and reactive,how else could you account for this:https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/marc-thorpe-trolling-the-prop-wash-for-muskies/

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com