• River Rat

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Dorsey Park Boat Launch
« on: May 24, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Dorsey Park Boat Launch
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:11:07 AM »
I wasn't about to go there over a holiday weekend so I waited until yesterday.

I got there at first light and was the first to arrive.  By the time I launched and took off one other boat showed up.  Throughout the day I saw some boat traffic but I had the area I was fishing to myself.  I left at 1:30 and there were 5 trailers in the lot, including a couple of pleasure that were just launching.

I had a pretty good day - 33 bass, a mixture of LM and SM.  Biggest was a 4 lb LM.  Most of the LM were 2 to 3 lbs.  The smallies were more in the 15" range although I had one that was 19".  Water temp was 68 when I started and 74 when I took out.  I would describe it as murky.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:03 AM »
I wasn't about to go there over a holiday weekend so I waited until yesterday.

I got there at first light and was the first to arrive.  By the time I launched and took off one other boat showed up.  Throughout the day I saw some boat traffic but I had the area I was fishing to myself.  I left at 1:30 and there were 5 trailers in the lot, including a couple of pleasure that were just launching.

I had a pretty good day - 33 bass, a mixture of LM and SM.  Biggest was a 4 lb LM.  Most of the LM were 2 to 3 lbs.  The smallies were more in the 15" range although I had one that was 19".  Water temp was 68 when I started and 74 when I took out.  I would describe it as murky.
Great news, glad you had a good day thanks for the report. I call that a great day! Did you go very far south? A couple miles down I usually start getting into the large mouth. Probably wonít be going back to Raystown next week. Different places have different rewards, overall I consider that the best place Iíve ever fished, at least in the early 2000s.
Phil
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:35:24 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »
I would say I was about 5 miles south of Dorsey.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 03:14:04 PM »
It looks like it's only about 3 miles to MD.  Do you have a MD license?  Just curious, that would be like about a 2 hour tow at best.  I was going to try the Juniata on Tuesday but started feeling sick last week. (Not COVID)  By Tue. I was really sick so didn't go.  Got to the Dr. today, had an EKG and got a lot of blood work.  Dr.'s guess is some kind of colon problem.  She gave me prescription for temporary relief until the results are in but now it looks like it's going to rain until next week.  If the prescription works I'll try and go then.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:56:46 PM »
It looks like it's only about 3 miles to MD.  Do you have a MD license?  Just curious, that would be like about a 2 hour tow at best.  I was going to try the Juniata on Tuesday but started feeling sick last week. (Not COVID)  By Tue. I was really sick so didn't go.  Got to the Dr. today, had an EKG and got a lot of blood work.  Dr.'s guess is some kind of colon problem.  She gave me prescription for temporary relief until the results are in but now it looks like it's going to rain until next week.  If the prescription works I'll try and go then.

On that body of water you can have either a PA or MD license.

Good luck with your medical issues.

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 06:34:42 PM »
Zelmo let me ask a question if you can answer it, I have a 14 foot grizzly tracker with a 9.9 outboard. Now my question is how shallow is this area and can I do it with my boat. I would like to give this area a try.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »
Zelmo let me ask a question if you can answer it, I have a 14 foot grizzly tracker with a 9.9 outboard. Now my question is how shallow is this area and can I do it with my boat. I would like to give this area a try.

Just like any body of water watch the wind conditions.  It can get a little rough if the wind kicks up.

You shouldn't have any problem going south from Dorsey.  Most of the area is good water and the shallow places are 5 to 6 feet.  If you head east from Dorsey you will find an island.  Deep water to the north of it but a very shallow flat south of it.  I have drifted over that with my Triton.  I will let Phil describe north of Dorsey.  You can go a little ways but eventually you run into a rock garden.

Check out https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@7&key=_voqFvuqnM.  Zoom in to the PA/MD line on the river.  Dorsey is on the west shore across from Mt. Johnson Island.

For anyone going to Dorsey for the first time be aware that the ramp is extremely steep and if launching by yourself you will need a long rope.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:42:48 AM by zelmo »

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »
Just like any body of water watch the wind conditions.  It can get a little rough if the wind kicks up.

You shouldn't have any problem going south from Dorsey.  Most of the area is good water and the shallow places are 5 to 6 feet.  If you head east from Dorsey you will find an island.  Deep water to the north of it but a very shallow flat south of it.  I have drifted over that with my Triton.  I will let Phil describe north of Dorsey.  You can go a little ways but eventually you run into a rock garden.

Check out https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@7&key=_voqFvuqnM.  Zoom in to the PA/MD line on the river.  Dorsey is on the west shore across from Mt. Johnson Island.

For anyone going to Dorsey for the first time be aware that the ramp is extremely steep and if launching by yourself you will need a long rope.
Agree with that. There is one rock see photo red dot (appx). Sometimes you see it when water is low.

North of launch is scary above Muddy Creek mouth.
Phil
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:12:46 PM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 06:19:42 PM »
I forgot about that rock!  Thanks for reminding. 

I was in that area once and saw the depth go to 1 foot.  I was lucky that the water wasnít lower. I do have it marked as a waypoint now. 

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »
thanks zelmo ill give it a try some day.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 07:17:24 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com