120 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Walmart Deep Cycle Battery  (Read 432 times)  Share 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Walmart Deep Cycle Battery
« on: May 30, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »
Just had a deep cycle battery fail bought April 2019. My neighbor said he has had more than one from Walmart fail after about a year. He will not buy a Walmart battery! I thought I would get some prorated credit but still have a Walmart battery. Any experiences there?
Phil
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:23:45 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Walmart Deep Cycle Battery
« on: May 30, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Walmart Deep Cycle Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 06:18:30 PM »
Sorry but I can't give you any feedback on that battery.  What I can say is that over the years batteries have been a real PIA for me. I now have 3 Sam's Club Duracell 31 AGMs.  Going on 3 years now and just as strong as when new.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:18:30 AM by zelmo »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
Never had a early failure. Do not know what Sa is? I don't think I am going back to Walmart. Just one more reason to not like Wally World!!
Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 07:21:25 AM »
Do not know what Sa is?

Grrr.  That is the problem with using mobile devices to post.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 07:21:25 AM »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
I bought my 2012  Rockproof in Dec 2016.  In the spring of 2017 I bought a new Ultrex trolling motor and two new Group 29 deep cycle Everlast batteries purchased at Walmart to power it.  The boat has an on board charging system that I keep plugged in all the time that the boat is not in use.  I have that Ultrex running almost constantly for 5 or 6 hours of fishing on the river and have never run out of power.  East Penn Manufacturing, the manufacturer of Deka batteries and the largest employer in Berks county, is only about 12 miles from my house so I know quite a few people who work there including a cousin, who have told me some of the names that go on the batteries.  Deka makes Walmart's Everlast batteries.  Deka only makes so many different batteries and the only difference within any group is the labels that go on. Deka has a factory store where you can buy really cheap seconds if they have any seconds of what you need.  If they don't and you buy a first you'll pay $20 - $30 dollars more than the same battery at Walmart. Had I bought those Group 29 batteries with a Deka label or lots of other labels they would have had a one year warranty.  Walmart gives a two year warranty.  About 8 or 9 years ago I was about to go on a trip with my travel trailer and found it had a dead Group 27 battery.  I was in a hurry so I ran over to Deka which is closer than any Walmart and figured Walmart might not have the right one.  The Deka store not only didn't have a second, they didn't have a first.  So they sent me to their huge warehouse a couple of miles away but I paid $99 at the store and showed my receipt at the warehouse.  In that warehouse are thousands of batteries with no labels.  I showed my receipt to a foreman and he said it would take about 10 minutes to get one and label it.  Of course it had a Deka label and a one year warranty.  The next time I was at Walmart I check the batteries for shits and giggles, there was my Group 27 battery with an Everlast label for $79 and a two year warranty.  Hope you enjoyed the story.

Ken
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
 We must be neighbors (I'm down in Temple).  I worked for quite a few years at Deka as an outside contractor. Sadly no "perks" for us. Was going to post a similar statement about the "different" brands they make but you beat me to it. I wasn't sure if they did Walmart but saw many others come off the lines . My current truck battery is a 2nd and I've had a few 2nd deep cycles from the "store".  Kind of a pain parking in that lot.... I miss pulling up out back in the work van .. LOL

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »
BTW - Deka makes the Duracell batteries that I mentioned earlier.

In my application it is a combination of upgrading to the size 31 and agm that solved my problems. I also upgraded the charger to be sure that I was treating them properly.

Previously I was using BPS labeled Dekas so I guess I did have experience with the one first discussed.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:05:43 AM »
My neighbor convinced me to try and cash in on the warranty. I cannot find the receipt. I am going to call. If all goes well I will take it in for a replacement.
Phil

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 08:05:43 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »
Warranty is 1 year. Battery is 14 months old. Goodbye Wally World!

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
Warranty is 1 year. Battery is 14 months old. Goodbye Wally World!

Not sure why you only have one year on a Walmart Deep Cycle Battery.  Here 's a picture of the batteries I have.  The label says 2years.  I know I called them Everlast.  They are EverStart.  Every EverStart deep cycle I ever bought was 2 years.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
Not sure why you only have one year on a Walmart Deep Cycle Battery.  Here 's a picture of the batteries I have.  The label says 2years.  I know I called them Everlast.  They are EverStart.  Every EverStart deep cycle I ever bought was 2 years.

I called Walmart, mine was one year. Maybe they have a bigger and more expensive one with longer warranty. I also looked around at longer warranties and going to Bass Pro, etc would not be convenient for me. I bought one at Advance Auto - 1 year warranty. I have bought from them before and have not had problems. Of course that could change. Different application but I have a 7 year old battery in my 97 pickup, I doubt it will make it to next year. If I get 2 years at $100 that is OK for me. Only ever had one premature failure and it was a Walmart battery. Walmart is not convenient for me! I expect most deep cycles to last 5 years, then I keep a eye out for failure.
Thanks for feedback!
Phil
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:05:04 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
I called Walmart, mine was one year. Maybe they have a bigger and more expensive one with longer warranty. I also looked around at longer warranties and going to Bass Pro, etc would not be convenient for me. I bought one at Advance Auto - 1 year warranty. I have bought from them before and have not had problems. Of course that could change. Different application but I have a 7 year old battery in my 97 pickup, I doubt it will make it to next year. If I get 2 years at $100 that is OK for me. Only ever had one premature failure and it was a Walmart battery. Walmart is not convenient for me! I expect most deep cycles to last 5 years, then I keep a eye out for failure.
Thanks for feedback!
Phil

$100 a piece is what I paid for the pictured batteries.  I believe that is still the price.  You won't believe this but it is true.  I have a Interstate batter in my diesel tractor that is 16 years old.  For half that time I have been expecting it to fail every winter but it keeps cranking  I have never even put the charger on it.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »
$100 a piece is what I paid for the pictured batteries.  I believe that is still the price.  You won't believe this but it is true.  I have a Interstate batter in my diesel tractor that is 16 years old.  For half that time I have been expecting it to fail every winter but it keeps cranking  I have never even put the charger on it.
That is incredible!

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com