144 Guests, 2 Users

Author Topic: Is anyone else having a down year?  (Read 3804 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Is anyone else having a down year?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »

We keep them. They taste better than walleye....

I don't want to be the "elephant in the room" but make sure you check the consumption advisories on flatheads. While smaller flatheads may have less toxins...they eat everything in the Susquehanna...a place where smallmouth change sex and have cancer. I would not feed any Susquehanna fish to kids or women of childbearing age.
Just saying... :(

https://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/sumconsumption.pdf

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:35 PM »

We keep them. They taste better than walleye. Plus we are trying to save some of the other fish from these predators.

These fish will eat crankbaits? Very interesting....Any tips?
I am not trying to get them. They hit the square bills all the time. Also get them on hair jigs and trailers. Its a sundown thing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:43:22 PM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline jonsie

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

We eat fish only from the Juniata near Mifflintown and Lewistown. I hope the water quality is better up there. Thanks for the heads up about consumptions.

As far as the smaller fish having less toxins...the big ones taste so much better. The little ones eat invertebrates and get that river taste whereas the larger fish are only eating other fish just like walleye.

Offline icemole

• River Rat
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »
 Since Flatheads are relatively new to the river and most of the contaminants that those advisories cover are buried under layers of sediment and no longer used in industry as they once were. Add in the fact that they are not in the "gene pool" going as far back as most other river fish... wouldn't they be the safest to eat ?

I realize there are new contaminants from drug makers, but I don't believe fish are tested for those ... YET.

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »
Since Flatheads are relatively new to the river and most of the contaminants that those advisories cover are buried under layers of sediment and no longer used in industry as they once were. Add in the fact that they are not in the "gene pool" going as far back as most other river fish... wouldn't they be the safest to eat ?

I realize there are new contaminants from drug makers, but I don't believe fish are tested for those ... YET.

The PFBC Consumption Advisory lists PCB's and Mercury.
I assume that the fish were tested. When you live in the water 24 hrs. a day...you become like the water...it doesn't take long.

The PFBC does not test for or list the myriad of other chemicals that exist in the fish because there is no well defined toxic concentration for many of them...but you can rest assured that if these chemicals are causing cancer in the fish and altering their endocrine (sexual) system...they can do the same in any living organism...including you and your children.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline 717wildcat

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
I wanted to bump this thread to see how people were doing on the main river so far this year. So far I have experienced tough fishing, with 1 or 2 strikes per about 3-4 hours of fishing. So far, the people I have talked to at the boat launches have said the same. All of the fish I have hooked were on plastics, nothing on cranks yet. I remember 15 years ago during this time of year you could float the banks with a rapala and consistently catch fish.
This year I have been fishing mostly out of ft hunter.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com