95 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: River is getting really skinny  (Read 3338 times)  Share 

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
River is getting really skinny
« on: July 23, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »
West Branch at Williamsport...Greevy Launch is really getting low. 1/4 of the dock is on the ground, I have to get my truck about 1/2 in the water to launch my boat.
They have been catching some bass.
Linden Launch above the dam, Launch is ok. Haven't been catching fish of any size...They have all been pretty much under 12" but decent numbers.

Would like to get some rain soon or I might have to be careful in the skinny boat.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

River is getting really skinny
« on: July 23, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: River is getting really skinny
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »
West Branch at Williamsport...Greevy Launch is really getting low. 1/4 of the dock is on the ground, I have to get my truck about 1/2 in the water to launch my boat.
They have been catching some bass.
Linden Launch above the dam, Launch is ok. Haven't been catching fish of any size...They have all been pretty much under 12" but decent numbers.

Would like to get some rain soon or I might have to be careful in the skinny boat.
Tried to go up in the rocks this AM at Muddy Creek. Under "normal" conditions I can go another 200 yards or so. I did get a few

Usually fish evenings. Thought I would try to beat the heat.  8) Probably a foot higher tonight.
Phil

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
I never paid that much attention before, but I would say there is 2 foot difference between early morning and evening at Muddy Creek. The "Conowingo Hotline" seems to indicate about the same.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:56 PM »
Phil that's a nice fish! Hopefully after this week we will have a little better water.
I have been getting out Tuesday, early mornings with a few retired guys.
Been fishing with rooster tails, Top water and some swim baits. Them little 10" bass are killing the top water  :)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:56 PM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 10:24:55 PM »
I never paid that much attention before, but I would say there is 2 foot difference between early morning and evening at Muddy Creek. The "Conowingo Hotline" seems to indicate about the same.

Think about it - they use power from the grid to pump water to the upper reservoir during off peak times (night), and then they release it to generate power during peak times (day.)

I never realized that it would cause a two foot swing in the lower pool.   

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:55:04 AM »
Think about it - they use power from the grid to pump water to the upper reservoir during off peak times (night), and then they release it to generate power during peak times (day.)

I never realized that it would cause a two foot swing in the lower pool.
I am not sure how that works? The data I am talking about is from the Conowingo Dam, I have never been able to find operation times for the Muddy Run Pumped Storage facility. I do know both are now operated by Exelon.
https://www.exeloncorp.com/locations/power-plants/muddy-run-pumped-storage-facility
Since that is a peaking unit I do not think they can determine time. Probably operates solely on demand? I know it contributes significant flow. With negligible flow, In my jon I can sit in the flow areas with almost no trolling motor need. When it flows I cannot stay in place on high!
I will have post pictures from the ramp at AM and PM, it is dramatically different. One good thing is that when it is low one can see almost all the problem rocks!
Phil
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:11:52 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »
Phil that's a nice fish! Hopefully after this week we will have a little better water.
I have been getting out Tuesday, early mornings with a few retired guys.
Been fishing with rooster tails, Top water and some swim baits. Them little 10" bass are killing the top water  :)
Thanks. They have been tearing up my swim bait tails. I get so many hits where they just get the tail.
Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:27:18 AM »
I am not sure how that works? The data I am talking about is from the Conowingo Dam, I have never been able to find operation times for the Muddy Run Pumped Storage facility. I do know both are now operated by Exelon.
https://www.exeloncorp.com/locations/power-plants/muddy-run-pumped-storage-facility
Since that is a peaking unit I do not think they can determine time. Probably operates solely on demand? I know it contributes significant flow. With negligible flow, In my jon I can sit in the flow areas with almost no trolling motor need. When it flows I cannot stay in place on high!
I will have post pictures from the ramp at AM and PM, it is dramatically different. One good thing is that when it is low one can see almost all the problem rocks!
Phil

They say:

Muddy Run Pumped Storage Facility is a pumped-storage hydroelectric plant that is owned and operated by Exelon Power, a business unit of Exelon Generation. It is used to generate energy for peak demand which usually occurs during the morning and early evening hours.
The 8-unit power station provides 1,070 megawatts (MW) of electricity by damming the Muddy Run ravine from its mouth. The station's output is critical to meeting the dynamic peak electricity demands on the area's regional power grid on hot summer afternoons. To generate energy, the water in the upper reservoir at Muddy Run is used to fuel the turbines, flowing into the Conowingo Pond, a 14-mile stretch of the Susquehanna River in Maryland. As energy demand decreases, at night, the units are reversed and used as pumps to fill the upper reservoir for subsequent peak-demand periods.

I have never been able to find info on when it operates either, but I think it is safe to assume they are doing it every day right now with as hot as it has been.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »
I would like to be in the area when it operates. I guess I could listen for the "horns" and then move to the area.
Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
They have been tearing up my swim bait tails. I get so many hits where they just get the tail.

Try something with a very small tail.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 10:30:00 AM »
 ;)

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 08:22:04 AM »
At Muddy Creek yesterday morning:

Across from the launch at sunrise I was drifting upriver from the plant pulling in water. At noon I could not stay in place. Using  a 7/16 ounce jig head in the flow it still moves a couple of feet per second. I did get 2 fish with the jig. Also using 1/2 ounce white hair jig I could see followers but no takers.
Phil

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 08:22:04 AM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 08:37:03 AM »
That's a pretty big drop. That looks like it would be hard to deal with. At least your catching a few fish.
 Your going to get some decent rain today.

My Tuesday morning fishing got postponed because of the tropical storm. But I have good rain gear. I guess thunder storms was a worry. So drinking coffee and staying dry this morning.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 08:52:47 AM »
Good morning for coffee and a big breakfast!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »
At Muddy Creek yesterday morning:

Across from the launch at sunrise I was drifting upriver from the plant pulling in water. At noon I could not stay in place. Using  a 7/16 ounce jig head in the flow it still moves a couple of feet per second. I did get 2 fish with the jig. Also using 1/2 ounce white hair jig I could see followers but no takers.
Phil

I don't think I have ever been at Dorsey this time of year.  Any idea if the water level is affected much down there, meaning is the whole pool affected or just the area near Muddy Run?

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com