155 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: River at Selinsgrove  (Read 458 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
River at Selinsgrove
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:06:34 PM »
Can you safely run a fiberglass boat with a prop in the river from any of the launches near Selinsgrove?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

River at Selinsgrove
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:06:34 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: River at Selinsgrove
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »
Can you safely run a fiberglass boat with a prop in the river from any of the launches near Selinsgrove?

Shady Nook access provides safe running downstream about a half mile to an old eel wall and about a mile upstream to the low head dam at the Panda Hummels Wharf Power Station. I fished this with an aluminum prop boat for many years.

An even better location would be Shikellemy Marina. There is an access at the marina (Sunbury) and one at the Sewer Treatment facility at the point in Northumberland. But only after the Fabridam is raised...gets quite low without the Fabridam.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
Thanks Bill.  What about Isle of Que access point?

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 01:24:54 PM »
... What about Isle of Que access point?

The Que is chock full of rock ledges that run from the west shore to the east shore. You can do it successfully when the water level is over 7-8 feet at the Sunbury gauge if you know the area... below 7-8 feet with a fiberglass boat I wouldn't suggest it. At the current levels of 10-11 feet you should be OK.

In the 70's and before that everyone fished the area with a prop. But they were people who knew the river and knew how to read the water and how to get around safely.

Can't remember ever seeing anyone at the Que or Shady Nook in a glass boat.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 01:24:54 PM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
The reason I am asking is that a neighbor told me he went out of one of those ramps several times last fall in a 21' Ranger to fish for Muskie.  He doesn't know the name of the ramp they used.  He wants to go back there this fall with my boat.  Before I commit to that (and buy muskie gear)  I thought I would ask here.

Thanks for the info.  He was talking about fishing rock ledges so I suspect it was Isle of Que.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com