151 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Question for those who wade  (Read 325 times)  Share 

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Question for those who wade
« on: August 27, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »
I want to put a pair of hip boots or chest waders in the boat in case I need to go in the water to push off a rock or ledge.  Is it best to get felt or lug bottoms?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Question for those who wade
« on: August 27, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »

Offline icemole

• River Rat
Re: Question for those who wade
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »
 Depends a bit on the type of bottom.... felt is generally better on rocks. You still need to be careful some rocks are still pretty slick. Stepping out of the water onto a mud bank is pretty slick with felt also. Plus invasives cling to damp felt between trips so there is risk of spreading them. Lug soles provide better grip in mud(both on the bottom and the bank) and less risk of transporting invasives.

Some of the high end brands are promoting "sticky" rubber soles with or without "Korker" type soles. Haven't tried any of those so can't coment on those.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »
Depends a bit on the type of bottom.... felt is generally better on rocks. You still need to be careful some rocks are still pretty slick. Stepping out of the water onto a mud bank is pretty slick with felt also. Plus invasives cling to damp felt between trips so there is risk of spreading them. Lug soles provide better grip in mud(both on the bottom and the bank) and less risk of transporting invasives.

Some of the high end brands are promoting "sticky" rubber soles with or without "Korker" type soles. Haven't tried any of those so can't coment on those.

Thanks.  I suspect I would not be getting out of the boat into mud if I am stuck on a ledge.  I'm also not worried about invasives since I will only be in the Susquehanna.

Having said that it will probably come down to price since it is something I may never use.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 08:39:40 PM »
In the summer I just wear a pair of NRS kayak bootie's. At the one launch I have to get in the water to launch my boat. Truck is about half in the water. They work good.
Friend of mine wades a couple times a week and he just wears a pair of old sneakers.
That doesn't answer your wader question. But will maybe give you a few other options.
Fish on...

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 08:39:40 PM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 09:12:34 PM »
Thanks. I have the warmer months covered.  I am thinking about when the water temperature has dropped to the point where you donít want to get wet.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 09:12:34 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com