97 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Ramp descriptions  (Read 1260 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Ramp descriptions
« on: September 01, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
I have never used any of the ramps north of Harrisburg, but that is going to change when I take delivery of a new jet boat.

I found this article describing the ramps but it is from 2005.  https://www.espn.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_map_05_PA_Middle_Susquehanna  I'm sure things have changed since then.  Does anyone have info on updates since the article was published?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Ramp descriptions
« on: September 01, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Ramp descriptions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 06:19:09 AM »
I have never used any of the ramps north of Harrisburg, but that is going to change when I take delivery of a new jet boat.

If you do not mind me asking what did you get?
Phil

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
allow me some insights about those areas with witch I am familiar...
Montgomery - improved ramp...very busy on weekends...good parking...access to the entire river width
Millersburg Ferry - dirt ramp...I am not sure there is downstream access because of the rock dams downstream which are needed to keep river levels up for the ferryboat...might be places to get through (Not sure)
Liverpool - improved ramp...lots of ledges  with access to the entire river width...lots of rocks to navigate in summer even with a jet
Sweigert and Port Trevorton are both dirt and I have never used them.
Mahantango - improved ramp but very flat and in summer you will need to back way out into the river...can't go very far upstream due to McKees Half falls but downstream leads to the mouth of the Mahantango Creek and the wider river
Hoovers Island - dirt/stone ramp is quite steep...safer with an all wheel drive especially during low water...good access to west side of river and many islands
Isle of Que - improved ramp...can navigate upstream and downstream and you have access to cuts through islands to the east side of the river.
Shady Nook - improved ramp but last time I used it there was a drop-off at the end of the ramp...I have damaged tires on this ramp...be careful...can only go upstream as far as the low-head dam at the Panda Power Plant but downstream OK...there are cuts through islands that will take you over to the east side of the low-head dam where there is deeper water

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks Bill.  When you say improved do you mean since that article was written, or that it is “improved “ over dirt as in concrete?

Phil - AlumaRyder is building a boat for me.  It will be an 1860 with the 200 Rotax.  It will be done at the end of the month.  I am also keeping the Triton for the bigger/deeper pools and the Upper Bay. 

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 02:25:04 PM »
Thanks Bill.  When you say improved do you mean since that article was written, or that it is “improved “ over dirt as in concrete?

Improved meaning the ramp is not dirt/stone.

I don't think any changes have occurred to any of these ramps I mentioned since 2005.
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
Phil - AlumaRyder is building a boat for me.  It will be an 1860 with the 200 Rotax.  It will be done at the end of the month.  I am also keeping the Triton for the bigger/deeper pools and the Upper Bay.
I know you do your homework sounds like a good rig!
Phil

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 07:29:56 AM »
I know you do your homework sounds like a good rig!
Phil

Thank you.  Others have accused me of overthinking things.  I don't like surprises, and that is especially true with a major purchase.  That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes but I try to uncover everything that will be important.

I even read the manual for a toaster oven before making the purchase that I was buying to bake powder paint on jigs.  :)

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
Wow! What is the projected speed? Is that engine water cooled?
Phil

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 11:32:50 AM »
Wow! What is the projected speed? Is that engine water cooled?
Phil

Projected speed is 44 mph but I probably won’t get that with the batteries I am putting in it.  Motor is a closed loop water system. 

I will start a thread on it with pictures after I take delivery. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 11:39:06 AM »
Projected speed is 44 mph but I probably won’t get that with the batteries I am putting in it.  Motor is a closed loop water system. 

I knew one can get a custom build from Rockproof. Now I am aware of another. Will the boat have the protective layer on the bottom? Cannot wait to see the photos!
Phil

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »
I knew one can get a custom build from Rockproof. Now I am aware of another. Will the boat have the protective layer on the bottom? Cannot wait to see the photos!
Phil

Bottom and part of sides will have 1/2” UHMW. 

The build is similar to Rockproof and I am sure that I would have been happy with them.  Big difference was lead time.  Rockproof told me maybe next summer.  I visited AlumaRyder and placed the order on 6/30.  It will be done by the end of this month. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
Bottom and part of sides will have 1/2” UHMW. 

The build is similar to Rockproof and I am sure that I would have been happy with them.  Big difference was lead time.  Rockproof told me maybe next summer.  I visited AlumaRyder and placed the order on 6/30.  It will be done by the end of this month.
Good to know!! Thanks. Figuring the price is competitive, You might be getting a better build!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:15:31 PM by Phil Sweeney »

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »

Add batteries and gas and that's a lot of weight.
You putting a 36 volt system in?
Thing should do really well in skinny water.
Fish on...

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
You putting a 36 volt system in?
Thing should do really well in skinny water.

Yes to 36v.  In addition I like to keep the graphs on and the Rotax doesn’t have a real robust alternator so I am putting in 5 group 31 batteries.  I know it is a lot of weight but I don’t want to have power issues.  Been there and done that.

That may keep me out of the skinniest water but I can live with that for the safety trade off.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 06:45:11 AM »
How big of a gas tank will you have?
Hopefully a few years down the road Lithium batteries will become more affordable and reliable.
I'm guessing them group 31 batteries weigh about 65lbs a Piece. 
Fish on...

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 06:45:11 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com