At least I got my crankbait back!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Re: Marietta
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 07:15:20 AM »
Hey Jonah!! Glad to see you didn't wind up in the whale's belly this time!!  ;)  :)

Flathead....eh!!!

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 08:06:14 AM »
That will sure test your tackle and your arms....another nice fish!

Water temp up here 67 degrees yesterday. Some bigger fish starting to reappear.
Fish on...

Offline funkybass

• River Rat
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 11:56:45 AM »
Hi Phil,
How big was that catty?  Any measurements?  It was good to run into you at the ramp last Friday.  Was this the Marietta area again?

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 11:56:45 AM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 02:36:51 PM »
Hi Phil,
How big was that catty?  Any measurements?  It was good to run into you at the ramp last Friday.  Was this the Marietta area again?
Howdy Tim! Hope I remembered your name correctly? I did not measure. I just heaved it up onto to the side of the boat to get my lure. It was Marietta. I lifted it with both hands. It was an effort just to get onto the side of the boat. Did you get any fish the day we met? Some buddies in the hunting club told me there is a channel past Chickees Rock before the Wrightsville bridge. Someone told me one cannot make it to the bridge with a kayak!
Phil

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »
Hey Jonah!! Glad to see you didn't wind up in the whale's belly this time!!  ;)  :)

Flathead....eh!!!

Bill
Good I had enough line out when he hit. I have lost considerable money in crankbaits to those flatties!
Phil

Offline funkybass

• River Rat
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »
Hi Phil,
Yes, Tim is correct.  Didn't get anything big, caught 6 between 9 and 11 inches.  I only kayaked to about 200 yards below Chickies Rock.  There is a nice channel along the east side that took me down to area that opened up the either side of the river to me.  I was still a good 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from Rte 30 bridge. Had people on top of Chickies Rock waving at me.  I might run into you again at Marietta.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »
Hi Phil,
How big was that catty?  Any measurements? 

If you look at the tape measure on the boat just below the fish it appears that it is a foot from the nose to the pecs.  Can anyone who knows catfish extrapolate that to the whole fish and then guess at the weight?

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »

Offline funkybass

• River Rat
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
Hey Phil, those 6 small bass I caught last Friday could grow up to be a nice size, unless the flathead you caught and put back in the other day gets a hold of them.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »
If you look at the tape measure on the boat just below the fish it appears that it is a foot from the nose to the pecs.  Can anyone who knows catfish extrapolate that to the whole fish and then guess at the weight?
Good eye!!
Phil

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »
Hey Phil, those 6 small bass I caught last Friday could grow up to be a nice size, unless the flathead you caught and put back in the other day gets a hold of them.
Hi Tim,
I am hoping it was a good spawn this year at Marietta. I have seen a lot of minnows also. Right now I am at a loss on Muddy Creek. However this is not the first time I watched "hot areas" decline. Every year is different. Wasn't there a time when it was recommended to destroy flatheads?
Phil

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
Had a great day yesterday. Launched at River Front Park at daylight. Fished until 1100 and only caught 1 16" fish.

Then I went down and launched  at Chickies Park and caught over 25 bass, 2 channels and one ugly stick with Penn reel (with live bluegill).

A lot of short strikes also. Fish were obviously very active!
Phil

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »
Do you think you did better by Chickies because of the time of day or deeper water?

I went out of Goldsboro yesterday and did well until about 8:30.  Only caught 2 between then and 11:30.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »
Do you think you did better by Chickies because of the time of day or deeper water?

I went out of Goldsboro yesterday and did well until about 8:30.  Only caught 2 between then and 11:30.
Based on the last few times out, I have not done well there in the AM and better after lunch. I was fishing shallow casting to the rocks. Knee high mucks got wet yesterday. How's Goldsboro? It has to be low and choked with growth. I have not fished there in years. I would be scared to take the bass boat out there. You must know the area well!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 10:42:30 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2020, 11:01:33 AM »
Based on the last few times out, I have not done well there in the AM and better after lunch. I was fishing shallow casting to the rocks. Knee high mucks got wet yesterday. How's Goldsboro? It has to be low and choked with growth. I have not fished there in years. I would be scared to take the bass boat out there. You must know the area well!

I do know the area well but I always feel good when I am back out of the water without any damage.  I ran a fiberglass jet boat there in 1977 when I move to the area.  I had used it all summer without a problem.  Then in August I was towing a skier in an area that was part of my normal runs.  He fell and I could see that something was odd about the way he was trying to right himself.  When I got to him he was standing on a rock that was ankle deep!

I found that rock again in 2009 but didn't put a waypoint on it.  I have looked for it several times using the TM without finding it (including yesterday.)  Someday when the water is clear and it is sunny I'll find it and mark it.  Until then I won't run in that area on plane. 

I know where the shoals are and use caution.  If the flow is low like it is now I don't feel at risk getting too close to fish the rocks as I know I can get away with the TM.  When it is higher I stay farther away.

Anyway the area around the ramp is completely grass filled.  This was from last week:

Yesterday the wind wasn't blowing into the ramp so it was better but not by much.  The good news is that there are no jet skis buzzing around and as you can see the lot is pretty empty.  Most of the other areas don't have as much grass.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 11:04:53 AM by zelmo »

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2020, 11:01:33 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com