125 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: Fall Fishing  (Read 3950 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Fall Fishing
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:42 AM »
I would like to see a picture of the intake on your new boat. I also wonder how it will handle the debris.

I can't take a good picture with the way I have it backed into the garage.  I will do that the next time I pull it out.  This picture is from the build.

It does have a manual stomp gate that you can see in this picture.

There was an option for a pneumatically operated one from the helm but it would have been a backorder, so I decided to try the manual and save some money.  I can always add it later.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:42 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
I am guessing that allows you to push away debris?

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2020, 09:18:59 AM »
Yes.  There are "fingers" that go down through the openings in the grate to push stuff out.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2020, 10:14:47 AM »
10 4

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2020, 10:14:47 AM »

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »
The bite sure hasn't been good up here. The fish have gotten bigger but they aren't really biting.
Have to work hard for everything you catch. Not to mention it has been pretty windy.
Talked to a good fishermen today and the other day he didn't catch a thing.

How is everyone else making out?
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2020, 11:00:37 PM »
I donít have them figured out this year.  The water is unusually low and clear and there is still a lot of grass.  I have been picking off singles but havenít found any wolf packs. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2020, 08:37:36 AM »
The bite sure hasn't been good up here. The fish have gotten bigger but they aren't really biting.
Have to work hard for everything you catch. Not to mention it has been pretty windy.
Talked to a good fishermen today and the other day he didn't catch a thing.

How is everyone else making out?
I retired spring of 2017. Prior to that because of work and travel my only regular fishing was Raystown in the spring. From 2000 to about 2006 stopped going to Raystown because the fishing at the Lower Conowingo was great! I went back to Raystown when that area declined. Mostly fish the summer on the river. I keep a general log on fishing. 2017 I put a mechanical counter on the jon, to easily count the fish. I have to cover at night because it is not waterproof. I remove for winter.
I did not put it back on this year due to low counts.
These are all river numbers:
2017 70 days 700 bass, best day 39 fish
2018 41 days 497 bass (numbers were doing better than 2017 until the rains started), best day 34 fish
2019 50 days 348 bass (average fish per day was going down), best day 20 fish
2020 I stopped keeping a log. I only had one day over 20 fish. I see very few shad surface breaks. No crayfish spit ups.
This is all here say: I know of a guy that used to tournament fish. He said the talk out of Susquehanna tackle is the flatheads are a big problem. He has not had a good year. I met a fisherman who said since the rains in 2018 he has not done well at the mouth of Muddy Creek.
I am gong to Raystown this AM, fishing Weaver Falls with jet.
Phil

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
Zelmo the low water and weeds has definitely been a challenge this year.
I was catching some bass in weed pockets earlier. But we're losing the weeds.

Phil that's a nice and simple system you had to keep track of your catch. Some decent numbers!
This year I have had a few days with over 20 fish but most everything around 11-12" ...no size.
Spring I was doing some shore fishing and was catching some bigger fish. 16-21"
I still think that November is going to get better. I will probably fish till the river gets ice.

Anybody else out there?? Would be Intrested in reading how your doing.

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
Zelmo the low water and weeds has definitely been a challenge this year.
I was catching some bass in weed pockets earlier. But we're losing the weeds.

Phil that's a nice and simple system you had to keep track of your catch. Some decent numbers!
This year I have had a few days with over 20 fish but most everything around 11-12" ...no size.
Spring I was doing some shore fishing and was catching some bigger fish. 16-21"
I still think that November is going to get better. I will probably fish till the river gets ice.

Anybody else out there?? Would be Intrested in reading how your doing.
I have been hoping for a good "northern" report!

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2020, 05:20:02 PM »
Sunday I went fishing above the dam. Tough conditions...Windy and cold.
Didnt even have a bite. Brutal...

We put in below the dam today using the smaller jet. The water is so low we had to push the boat off the trailer. Not even enough water to float the boat.
Hoping we soon pick up some rain.

The fish bite was again slow today. My son catching the big fish...again  :)   Water temp was 58 degrees.

Would love to hear anybody else's fishing reports.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:34:00 PM by Pawatch »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2020, 10:13:12 PM »
I went out of Goldsboro today. I was much later than normal and didnít get on the water until 10:00.

I decided to try some new spots but they didnít produce. Hitting my normal places didnít do much better.

I was out of the water at 2:00 and had 3 for my efforts.  At least they were decent fish in the 18Ē range. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »
I went out of Goldsboro today. I was much later than normal and didnít get on the water until 10:00.

I decided to try some new spots but they didnít produce. Hitting my normal places didnít do much better.

I was out of the water at 2:00 and had 3 for my efforts.  At least they were decent fish in the 18Ē range.
Sounds good to me!

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:02 AM »

They are nice fish!
A Fisherman was discussing with me with the low water he still thinks the fish are in the summer mode.

Well rain is on the way maybe 2-3", won't cure drought conditions but sure should help.
Maybe a mix of snow above I-80 and above Route 6 snow.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »

A Fisherman was discussing with me with the low water he still thinks the fish are in the summer mode.

I would beg to differ because I am not finding them where I was catching them in the summer as well as just a few weeks ago.  I am also not finding them where I usually do this time of year. 

I believe that they have made some sort of move but that it is different this year due to the low water.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the rain that is in the forecast. 

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2020, 06:58:14 PM »
I would beg to differ because I am not finding them where I was catching them in the summer as well as just a few weeks ago.  I am also not finding them where I usually do this time of year. 

I believe that they have made some sort of move but that it is different this year due to the low water.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the rain that is in the forecast.

I somewhat agree with you on summer phase,the bigger fish have started to show up but not much bit.
Must be in the 2020 phase  :D
Totally agree with the rain forecast, I want to see what the higher water levels bring.

The last couple times out the fish have been in the deeper water 8-9'

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2020, 06:58:14 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com