128 Guests, 5 Users

Author Topic: Buying fish finder  (Read 1362 times)  Share 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Buying fish finder
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 11:30:35 AM »
Take your time.  Black Friday isn't far off.
Good to know! I was wondering do you know when they roll out the new models?

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 11:30:35 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
Good to know! I was wondering do you know when they roll out the new models?

Generally around now.  At about the same time you will see rebates on the current models.  In the spirit of full disclosure I havenít been paying attention to that, plus this year you have disruptions in the manufacturing process. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2020, 03:15:19 PM »
Generally around now.  At about the same time you will see rebates on the current models.  In the spirit of full disclosure I havenít been paying attention to that, plus this year you have disruptions in the manufacturing process.
10 4

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »
I just read that Hummingbird will release updated Helix models in 2 to 3 weeks and Solix models mid-November. 

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »
I just read that Hummingbird will release updated Helix models in 2 to 3 weeks and Solix models mid-November.
I see the Lowrance Elite-9 has wireless networking.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2020, 09:49:56 AM »
I see the Lowrance Elite-9 has wireless networking.

My understanding is that is for two units to communicate with each other.  If you want to install the Point 1 you still need the NMEA 2000 network.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »
My understanding is that is for two units to communicate with each other.  If you want to install the Point 1 you still need the NMEA 2000 network.
I will look into that. Right now I am looking at a Elite 9 Ti at the TM and Elite 9 Ti2 at the dash (point 1). As long as everything is compatible. The Elite 9 Ti comes with transducer, and I want to see that at the dash also. I am also hoping to pass through to the TM the point 1.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
In these systems some data is transferred over the NMEA network, and other data is shared via Ethernet.  The wireless feature is for the Ethernet connection.  My suggestion would be to try it before you go to the trouble of the Point 1 as it sounds like it is the only device that you would need NMEA to make work.  You may be happy with it out of the box.  That assumes that the transducer has temperature built in.  If you need a separate temperature sensor that would use NMEA also. 

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2020, 06:41:41 PM »
I like that idea. Already have to change plans as the Elite 9 Ti is gone. Limited supply must have meant one!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2020, 07:55:37 PM »
Should be back in stock in about 2 weeks. 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
Here are a couple of things you may not know.

These units use more power than older ones.  That means they drain the cranking battery (assuming that is how you power them) much faster than what you are used to.  You may need to upgrade that battery.

Older boats often do not have the correct wiring for them.  In order to minimize voltage drop and rebooting when you turn over the big motor you should have at least 12 AWG if not 10 AWG wires running from the battery to the accessory panel.  If that is close to the graphs you can then just hook them up.  If they are farther away, like your bow unit, you need to run beefy wire to it.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 06:42:09 AM »
Here are a couple of things you may not know.

These units use more power than older ones.  That means they drain the cranking battery (assuming that is how you power them) much faster than what you are used to.  You may need to upgrade that battery.

Older boats often do not have the correct wiring for them.  In order to minimize voltage drop and rebooting when you turn over the big motor you should have at least 12 AWG if not 10 AWG wires running from the battery to the accessory panel.  If that is close to the graphs you can then just hook them up.  If they are farther away, like your bow unit, you need to run beefy wire to it.
I keep a pretty good eye on my batteries. I am on high alert when batteries reach 5 years old. 2 years ago I replaced my cranking battery and the sounder was shutting off on every crank! Though I replaced the bilge pumps this year and rewired, I'll have to see what gauge I used. I'd like to retrofit the lights also. I put permanent LEDs on the jon and what a difference. Those conventional lamps are a big draw.

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 06:42:09 AM »

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »
I like that idea. Already have to change plans as the Elite 9 Ti is gone. Limited supply must have meant one!

Back in stock.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Lowrance+Elite-9

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »
Back in stock.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Lowrance+Elite-9
Thanks! I have decide that is the one I intend to get. I think I like the touch screen ability. I am also getting the 3 in 1 transducer. I would like to get a second transducer for the jon but the prices for a second one is crazy. My only apprehensions are I have been advised the Humminbird Lake master maps are very good , and supposedly Humminbird is the best sonar. Looks to me like the Lakemaster would have to be an additional purchase.

Hoping for a black Friday special!!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2020, 12:18:19 PM »
Thanks! I have decide that is the one I intend to get. I think I like the touch screen ability. I am also getting the 3 in 1 transducer. I would like to get a second transducer for the jon but the prices for a second one is crazy. My only apprehensions are I have been advised the Humminbird Lake master maps are very good , and supposedly Humminbird is the best sonar. Looks to me like the Lakemaster would have to be an additional purchase.

Hoping for a black Friday special!!

I think every brand has pluses and minuses, but at the end of the day they are all good for what we use them for.  I don't think any of them are going to have great maps for the river, and all will have good maps for Raystown.

I when I upgraded the electronics on the Triton I waited until Black Friday.  I got two of them from TW and one from Hodges.  TW had a little better price but was sold out of one of the units I wanted.

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2020, 12:18:19 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com