112 Guests, 5 Users

Author Topic: Keeping my finders crossed  (Read 492 times)  Share 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Keeping my finders crossed
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »
I haven't been out since before the holidays.  I had some work done to the boat and then we got the big rain.  The river has settled down but I wasn't interested in going out in high wind or with air temps in the low thirties.

Looks like that may change.  If the weather forecast holds we could have several good days next week.  Good for January, that is.  Then the polar vortex arrives and it will be a while before I venture out again.

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Keeping my finders crossed
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Keeping my finders crossed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:58:36 AM »
I am done until Feb. Turning to winter activities. My latest material for jigs: deerhair. I have a bunch of tail. Bought some deer hair and though it was a little short. So thought I'd try the real deal

Winterized both boats and checked the compression on the 1987 Evinrude 150HP. All in the 90s, not great but none are low. Did not have any problem pulling 3 kids on the tube this summer!
Phil

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »
Phil sounds like you got a deer up at your cabin. Now you got some tying material.
I used to have a fly tying shop not far from me. The guy was well stocked and very helpful. He retired and sold the business
E-Hillie  https://www.flyfishing-shops.com/shops/e-hille-company-angler-s-supply-house/
The new owner had a couple moves and I'm not sure they are still in business.
Finally getting rid of the snow and got out a few times bank fishing. My boat has been parked in the garage since the high water.

On your boat motors, sounds like they are getting worn just like us  :D
Not sure how much it costs to rebuild one these days. Might as well keep running them for now.
Been cold up here, morning temps in the teens and twenties. And finally the sun has shown itself.

Everyone stay warm and take care!
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »
The weather did cooperate and I got out yesterday.  Unfortunately the fish did not - I got skunked.

Water temp was 35.3.  There were 10 other boats around me and I only saw one flathead caught.  Even the live bait guys weren't catching.

It looks like I will need to be a little less picky about when I go out.  Temps are supposed to drop again next week and the wind will kick up.  Maybe it is time to do something on the honey do list.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »
The weather did cooperate and I got out yesterday.  Unfortunately the fish did not - I got skunked.

Water temp was 35.3.  There were 10 other boats around me and I only saw one flathead caught.  Even the live bait guys weren't catching.

It looks like I will need to be a little less picky about when I go out.  Temps are supposed to drop again next week and the wind will kick up.  Maybe it is time to do something on the honey do list.
Zelmo
They have been catching some nice bass at Fort Hunter. Not sure if you fish there or not.
"Posted on  fishing the susquehanna River , group on FB.
Haven't had my boat out. The boat ramps are a mess up here. 

This weather pattern of not much sun, mostly cloudy sure hasn't warmed the water.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 10:49:23 PM »
I did go out of Fort Hunter. I guess I picked the wrong day as there was no catching going on unless it was after I left at 2:30.  I had considered staying longer but I am still getting comfortable with the boat at the ramp and I wanted to get out before the other boats headed in.

I had been hoping that the water temperature would go up as the week went on, but as you pointed out the cloud cover held it back.  It was up about one degree from the beginning of the week but more may have made a difference.  I am surprised that there were reports of good catches.  Maybe that was when the water was higher?

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 10:49:23 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com