108 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Stone fly season  (Read 262 times)  Share 

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Stone fly season
« on: March 29, 2021, 05:58:41 PM »
Monday is cleaning lady afternoon so I skipped out to the water...
Sunny day with a nice breeze from the NW...water temp 50-51F
River was loaded with sea gulls feasting on stone fly nymphs...you could see the flies emerging from the water...here is a picture of a stone fly nymph shedding its case on the bottom of a stream getting resdy to work its way to the surface and fly away...

Notice how similar the diminutive lure Al Winco developed called the Willie Wannabee looks a lot like a stone fly nymph in size, color and configuration.

Well today I started with minnow shaped lures and small tubes on my local trib and on the Susquehanna...every once in a while I could feel something nudging them but never a real good thump...not until I put on the Willie Wannabee

Wound up with an even dozen smallmouth all on that lure. It appears to me that both the sea gulls and the smallmouth were keyed in on the small emerging nymphs and that is what they wanted.

Biggest of the day was this 3 lb. 6 oz. gal

Most of the others were nice fish between 2-2.75 lbs

Guess it pays to match the hatch.
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Stone fly season
« on: March 29, 2021, 05:58:41 PM »

Offline Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: Stone fly season
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 08:41:58 PM »
That's a good day of catching. Took me a minute to figure out the lure was hooked on a rod eye. That is a good match, thanks for the pics and detail. Planning on being up your way the first week of May
Galatians 2:20

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:39:20 AM »
Monday is cleaning lady afternoon so I skipped out to the water...
Sunny day with a nice breeze from the NW...water temp 50-51F
River was loaded with sea gulls feasting on stone fly nymphs...you could see the flies emerging from the water...here is a picture of a stone fly nymph shedding its case on the bottom of a stream getting resdy to work its way to the surface and fly away...

Notice how similar the diminutive lure Al Winco developed called the Willie Wannabee looks a lot like a stone fly nymph in size, color and configuration.

Well today I started with minnow shaped lures and small tubes on my local trib and on the Susquehanna...every once in a while I could feel something nudging them but never a real good thump...not until I put on the Willie Wannabee

Wound up with an even dozen smallmouth all on that lure. It appears to me that both the sea gulls and the smallmouth were keyed in on the small emerging nymphs and that is what they wanted.

Biggest of the day was this 3 lb. 6 oz. gal

Most of the others were nice fish between 2-2.75 lbs

Guess it pays to match the hatch.
Very nice!

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:39:20 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com