Author Topic: Spare spinning reel  (Read 365 times)

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Spare spinning reel
« on: September 19, 2021, 07:12:53 AM »
Had a reel that was hoggin up the line. Looks like the line roller. So I bought this for a spare: Had to get something fast.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Abu-Garcia-Maxxsp40-c/785087777
NO BACKREEL lever. Say what! What a piece of crap!

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Spare spinning reel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:23:49 AM »
...NO BACKREEL lever. Say what! What a piece of crap!

Your comment here presents an interesting question.
For over 50 years I have never backreeled on a spinning reel. It always seemed to me to be unnecessary with a drag and I found it difficult to backreel and keep the proper tension on the fish and the hook.
I fished with a guy for years who never used his drag and backreeled. It always just looked so awkward.

How many of you backreel when fighting a fish and how many use the drag?

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 03:07:05 PM »
Hi Bill,
My biggest problem is if I wind the lure to close to the tip, I would always put it in back reel to give me the slack I need. I keep my drag set pretty tight. If I feel a fish is going to overpower me I will put it in back reel occasionally. But I do not want it set that way for the Hookset.
Phil
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 07:33:22 PM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 08:59:10 PM »
Here is an opinion on why backreel.............

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/backreel-and-thumb/

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 08:13:08 AM »
I do have one friend who is a big fan of back reeling. Check out this video on line twist from drag
https://youtu.be/kZkp3Rpricg
I get more line twist from certain swim baits than anything else. Yesterday I had a crazy amount of line twist and the line was put on the day before. Using a spark shad

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 08:53:07 AM »
I do have one friend who is a big fan of back reeling. Check out this video on line twist from drag
https://youtu.be/kZkp3Rpricg
I get more line twist from certain swim baits than anything else. Yesterday I had a crazy amount of line twist and the line was put on the day before. Using a spark shad

Thanks for the link.  That was very informative and proved again that a septuagenarian can learn something about spin fishing.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 09:15:28 AM »
I think Roland Martin is one smart dude! And a cheerful old guy to boot! BTW the line shredding is caused (I think) by a chip in the ceramic of the tip top. It was not the reel! so now I have a spare i do not like.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »
Jerry McKinnis was a master of backreeling.  He went to a lake (I donít remember which one) to film one of his Fishin Hole episodes that was known for big brown trout.  The local guide looked at Jerryís UL rigs and commented that they would never work on that lake. Jerry proceeded to hook and land many big brownies on very light line by backreeling. 

To Billís question I have never used the feature with a fish on the line.  I probably have used it a few times like Phil.

You would be surprised, Phil, at how many very high end reels have eliminated the feature. 

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 08:22:28 PM »
You would be surprised, Phil, at how many very high end reels have eliminated the feature.
Unreal! Let me guess cheaper to make? I think Iíve seen more talk regarding back reeling in in the last two years and they are eliminating it, on some reels.

On a different note. One of my first bait casters I had, had a back reel button. Accidentally hit that and guess what happened next? I think that kind of turned me off to Shimano bait casters. Though I have had a couple. And of course remember the ones dad had where when you cast it the handle turned. I believe you had to have at least one ounce to use those! Iím pretty sure spinning reels killed them. I donít even know where mine are.