Author Topic: It was great while it lasted  (Read 767 times)

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
It was great while it lasted
« on: October 25, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »
I have had a great October on the river below HBG.  Most days the catch was over 30, with one day at 56.  The few days that it wasnít as good I still caught over 17.   Both LM and SM were hungry and size was good.

That changed today.  It was a horrible day. Started with someone prepping boat ON ramp and blocking access before first light.  Steady stream of boats launching.  Caught 2  LM before dawn and that was it until noon. Got 1 more SM around noon and called it a day at 1:00.  I didnít see anybody catching.

The good news is that I made it home safely.  At the end of the day thatís what is important.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:13:15 AM by zelmo »

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: It was great while it lasted
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Maybe the rain and temp change will get'em chomping again. I'm headed up to fish next week with my son.
Galatians 2:20

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 07:32:47 AM »
Maybe it was just the area I was in.  I am seeing reports that others did well yesterday.

I guess that is why they call it fishing.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »
I have had a great October on the river below HBG.  Most days the catch was over 30, with one day at 56.  The few days that it wasnít as good I still caught over 17.   Both LM and SM were hungry and size was good.

That changed today.  It was a horrible day. Started with someone prepping boat ON ramp and blocking access before first light.  Steady stream of boats launching.  Caught 2  LM before dawn and that was it until noon. Got 1 more SM around noon and called it a day at 1:00.  I didnít see anybody catching.

The good news is that I made it home safely.  At the end of the day thatís what is important.
That is awesome!!

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 06:06:53 PM »
Quite a rise coming! Figures since the trip is planned and house rented. Hope to still find them tight to the bank if water is dirty.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »
Quite a rise coming! Figures since the trip is planned and house rented. Hope to still find them tight to the bank if water is dirty.

What days are you fishing?

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:44:20 PM »
What days are you fishing?

I'll arrive Sunday around noon and fish through Wednesday. Head back to VA Thursday morning. Weather is looking good those days. Renting a house in Dauphin. Six of us, three boats. We do a trip in the Spring and Fall, this is our 10th year.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 07:12:59 AM »
Obviously you are watching the gauge and can see that the river should crest on Friday morning.  By Sunday it will be down some, but not all the way to normal levels.  You might want to consider fishing the Juniata early in your trip as it will not be affected by the rain up north.

Be careful.

Edit: I hadn't noticed this before now - a bunch more rain is in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.  Not good news for your trip.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:04:10 AM by zelmo »

Offline afishinado

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »
Here is the Susky flow prediction for the Harrisburg gage > below

I would suspect the River will be muddy and too high to fish well into next week.

The advice to fish the Juniata instead is a good one.
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ctp&gage=harp1
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 04:31:49 PM by afishinado »

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 06:53:28 PM »
We've been watching. May not be as bad as first expected, prediction has dropped some. May be 7.5 by Sunday. Will make the call Saturday as to when we'll come up, probably Monday or Tuesday now. Juniata is an option.
DRY, if you're reading any of this, I'd appreciate a quick note on what the river looks like up your way this weekend.
Thanks to all for keeping me posted!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 09:24:33 PM »
Here is the Susky flow prediction for the Harrisburg gage > below

I would suspect the River will be muddy and too high to fish well into next week.

The advice to fish the Juniata instead is a good one.
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ctp&gage=harp1

Just be aware that the current river forecast doesnít factor in any rain that could fall Friday into Saturday. 

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 09:39:31 PM »
Just be aware that the current river forecast doesnít factor in any rain that could fall Friday into Saturday.

Good point, I didn't think about that. Daggone it  >:(

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »
Pushed the trip back a week. River looks to be high and muddy at least through middle of the upcoming week. Plans made for the 8-12, staying in Selinsgrove. Praying that weather will cooperate.