Author Topic: UHMW  (Read 277 times)

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
UHMW
« on: November 10, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
Apparently this stuff isn't as tough as I thought it was.  I discovered that I had a hole in the 1/2" thick covering on the jet's bottom.

I know I did not hit a rock hard enough to cause that.  It is also strange that the hole is round.  I would think that hitting a rock would cause more of a gash than a round hole.

The only thing I can think of is that the ramp at Fort Hunter has some rocks on it.  I do remember that on one occasion I had beached the boat on the ramp to get the trailer, and I know that the boat was wobbly from one of those rocks.  The logical conclusion is that standing in the boat while it was on that rock created the hole.

Not what I would have expected to happen.  It was an expensive lesson.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: UHMW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 07:04:06 AM »
Sounds like you got it repaired. Did they cut out a larger piece and glue and screw?

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 12:14:40 PM »
Damm right on the keel too. That's a little surprising.
Like you said...expensive lesson.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 02:14:47 PM »
If you look at the picture you can see that the hole is directly in front of the jet intake.  They were able to cut that section out back to the intake and then fit a new piece in.  Doing it that way none of the original screws were disturbed and the new piece was screwed in place with additional screws on the edge of the remaining original section. 

BTW - they discounted my theory of the rock on the ramp.  Instead they think I hit a piece of rebar or something like that as there’s a smaller gouge leading to the hole. The hole being round is strange but possible since it is right where the UHMW is bent for the keel. 

When I got the bill it was a couple hundred dollars, which was less than I was expecting.